What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Another what did you do today. My wife and I were sitting in a restaurant parking lot in my truck, waiting for her sister when a black sedan pulled in between a truck and a car facing away from us. A guy gets out of the passenger side, looks into the truck window and in a matter of seconds, breaks out the back passenger window with his elbow and steals a backpack, while at the same time, the driver dumps another backpack out of his window. I guess the a holes didn’t see us and I got a pic of his license plate. Easier to steal than work I guess? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, Coop said:

Mick, good looking job!

SE and east coast guys, we hope to get y’all fuel soon! Sorry for the inconvenience. 

No joke. I had to go to 2 stations last night to fill up since I only had half a tank and my mom's car was almost empty. Need to make sure we can get the kids to her so we can actually work.

People are getting crazy and angry. Heard a few horns this morning in the LONG line by the gas station. People driving on the wrong side of the road in the parking lot to get their Starbucks. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a few fights or worse. I bet Tesla owners are laughing their butts off.

I pity the fool that messed with oil companies. They have gone to war over less....

51 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I bet Tesla owners are laughing their butts off.

There have been some nice announcements in EVs lately that has me excited. The Ford lightening which is my favorite pickup of all time. Likely going to be utterly ruined now but i still have hope. Also Subaru is putting out an EV which is more likely for me to buy.

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

I went to visit my niece last evening and had to cope with her annoying partner who's also a vegan and a flat earth supporter. He mentioned he was in need of a stool or bench or something like that, I don't know, I wasn't paying attention.

I wonder if it's possible to use pork ribs for joinery, as in loose tenons, make that stool or whatever and gift it to him  :D

At least use traditional hide glue. Vegan and flat-earther seem like a rare combination don't they?

29 minutes ago, JohnG said:

I chuckled a bit last night when I drove past a small gas station with 10-15 cars in line for each pump row. :P

I would have been laughing too. A plug-in hybrid is hopefully in our future. We just need to decide if we're moving first or not. I'm pretty sure we'll have to upgrade our electric panel to put in a charger and I'd rather not do that if we'll be moving.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

I went to visit my niece last evening and had to cope with her annoying partner who's also a vegan and a flat earth supporter. He mentioned he was in need of a stool or bench or something like that, I don't know, I wasn't paying attention.

I wonder if it's possible to use pork ribs for joinery, as in loose tenons, make that stool or whatever and gift it to him  :D

You should make the whole thing bowed, and when he asks why it’s not flat you can say that you designed it for a flat earth. 

2 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I would have been laughing too. A plug-in hybrid is hopefully in our future. We just need to decide if we're moving first or not. I'm pretty sure we'll have to upgrade our electric panel to put in a charger and I'd rather not do that if we'll be moving.

At least with a Tesla you can manage the max amp draw of the charger so you don’t trip a breaker if you have less amperage to work with. Not sure about others but I would guess that most current EVs/plug-in hybrids would have that option.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, JohnG said:

At least with a Tesla you can manage the max amp draw of the charger so you don’t trip a breaker if you have less amperage to work with. Not sure about others but I would guess that most current EVs/plug-in hybrids would have that option.

I have 2 open slots on the panel which was has a signature from 1972 when it was approved and no garage. Whenever it comes time I will have to work with the HOA to get it approved. HOA's in Virginia can't restrict me from adding a charger but they could make me jump through some hoops to make it look nice. If someone hasn't already gotten something approved by the time I'm looking I'll just join the board, get my way, and leave it. 

• Like 1

One of my scientist friends bought a Tesla on short notice.  When he got home, he found two 120V receptacles in his garage that were fed from the two different bus bars in his main panel, so he made do until he could wire it properly.  He drove it all the way to Maine, and back to Maryland in the early days of EV's, before there were charging stations many places.

I carried a couple of puppies to our Vet, in a small town 30 minutes away today, to get shots.  There were lines at the two gas stations I passed.  I doubt many of those people drive ten miles a day. 

Kind of like when my Mom used to take a cake to church lunches.  The cake would be gone before people even started sitting down because they would get a piece, and take it to there place, before they went through the line with their plates.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. First impulse was to tell my wife to get out and run and pull forward to block them from leaving. Then there would have been a confrontation that wasn’t necessary and the least would have been damage to my truck. The detective said he has 4 priors so it’s just a revolving door. Just pisses me off. Rant over! 

• Sad 1

On 5/2/2021 at 6:54 PM, JohnG said:

...In the shop I refreshed the finish on our wooden cutting boards and the cherry spoons I’ve made. Went with PolyX on all of them this go round. 

A well meaning visitor put one of the wooden spoons in the dishwasher without me realizing. 

If I wasn’t the one to take it out of the dishwasher, I don’t think I’d be able to tell. Not sure how it would hold up to repeated cycles, but it certainly held up better than the mineral oil that I used on it originally (which also went through the dishwasher).

55F8EA4E-C617-4E54-957C-FAE85365F021.thumb.jpeg.2a3728c4691e4d9c7775faf908a91eff.jpeg

57C738CE-2A45-43F0-9010-8B514DF4BC50.thumb.jpeg.6d5794447e7b50b8650fbfea7b7714c4.jpeg

• Like 2

Sharon and I met with the detective this morning and separately identified the suspect and we unknowingly picked the owner of the car. The detective thanked us and said they were going to pick up the suspect today and due to our counties very liberal DA and judges, he doubts it will even go to trial and the suspect will be back on the streets by next week. Oh well, what can you do? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1