What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

Maybe that’s what prompted this-

Yep, received an email from Tom Schrunk director of Finishing Solutions LLC, he stated that on their web site is a notice on what to avoid putting in their bags, MEK, Toluene, Xylene along with others and Zinsser shellac, seemed like a nice guy and a very quick response to my email, i know i'll continue to use them but be mindful of what i put in them

• Like 2

13 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Yep, received an email from Tom Schrunk director of Finishing Solutions LLC, he stated that on their web site is a notice on what to avoid putting in their bags, MEK, Toluene, Xylene along with others and Zinsser shellac, seemed like a nice guy and a very quick response to my email, i know i'll continue to use them but be mindful of what i put in them

Agreed. And I’ll again mention that while mine blistered like that very soon after filling the bag, it’s been in there and handled, moved, used, etc for 18months with no leaking or worsening. It may not be ideal but I don’t have any concern that it will ever cause a leak.

14 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Great resourcefulness Dave! Thanks

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

What’s the distance?

Top right corner was 100y, Oddly the best group. All the others were 50y with the center being my cousin's AR-10.

We went to the range to test different loads for his rifle. Found out the 165 grain bullets were coming out very unstable. He was able to take a 1" group at 50y down to a sub 1" group at 100y just by changing ammo.

I found out I shoot better at 100y than 50y.... :unsure:.

2 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

That’s some nice groups at 100, when you say unstable is that in the ammo that is not factory? and do you have a gauge to measure if the bullet is concentric (square) to the case and the bore ?

It was factory ammo, but we have a feeling that the heavier grain, 165 vs 150, and maybe different powder wasn't accelerating the bullet fast enough for the short barrel (16"). If he had a proper bolt action rifle with a proper length barrel I'd imagine the 165 would fly the same or better.

I should have taken a picture of his paper. He did 20 shots of each weight and the difference was quite noticeable both 50y and 100y.

19 hours ago, Chestnut said:

It was factory ammo, but we have a feeling that the heavier grain, 165 vs 150, and maybe different powder wasn't accelerating the bullet fast enough for the short barrel (16"). If he had a proper bolt action rifle with a proper length barrel I'd imagine the 165 would fly the same or better.

I should have taken a picture of his paper. He did 20 shots of each weight and the difference was quite noticeable both 50y and 100y.

I reload my ammo and find that different grain bullets and different powders, as well as grains of powder, make a big difference. Two rifles of the same caliber might not "like" the same loads. One will want 180 grain with X amount of X powder, while the same load in the other rifle likes 208 grain bullets with X amount of some other powder. It takes some testing and paperwork but it's worth it when you find the sweet spot. :)

Treeslayer was talking about one of these, which is nice to have for handloads, but even factory loads can stand some correction as well.

2DC6A195-9D68-4E92-9612-4FB8A3C3A0FB_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep that’s the thing @Chip Sawdust, zero bullet run out is the best but anything under 2 thousandth is goof for me, also bullet jump, the distance the bullet travels before it contacts the lands and groves is important, I have one rifle that likes 10 thousandth jump nothing more or less and have a gauge to “chase” the jump as the rifling wears. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Yep that’s the thing @Chip Sawdust, zero bullet run out is the best but anything under 2 thousandth is goof for me, also bullet jump, the distance the bullet travels before it contacts the lands and groves is important, I have one rifle that likes 10 thousandth jump nothing more or less and have a gauge to “chase” the jump as the rifling wears. 

Yep and for bullet jump to the lands this thing works really well... Or you can do it the old fashioned way, which I first found in a Nosler reloading book.

C0FAAAC7-B94D-41A8-A0EA-7DD3A33BA41F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, treeslayer said:

also bullet jump,

3 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Or you can do it the old fashioned way, which I first found in a Nosler reloading book.

I have the bullet jump set the old fashioned way from the nosler book. The downside is that I can't hunt with those rounds because they don't fit in the mag. That said I haven't noticed a huge difference between "properly" seated and factory seating. With this rifle and my good loads i can stack 3 shots through 1 large hole at 100y.

I think i just need to set up a reloading spot and reload. I'm beggining to have a hard time finding ammo for the .270 WSM. It's a great cartridge but for some reason Winchester isn't making the ammo that works well with the gun any more. I've tried others but have had a hard time getting good results.

My other thought is to "downgrade" to a .30-30 because i really don't need the capabilities of the rifle i have. Most of the shots I take are under 50y. Trouble is finding the gun i've decided I want. It's elusive and always sold out.

Man do i shell out for more reloading supplies or just get a new rifle in a common cartridge... I don't like carrying this rifle any more, it's too nice to be beating it up in the bush.

270 WSM is a great round, I would carry it all the time it’s meant to be used not sit in the safe

5 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Yep and for bullet jump to the lands this thing works really well... Or you can do it the old fashioned way, which I first found in a Nosler reloading book.

C0FAAAC7-B94D-41A8-A0EA-7DD3A33BA41F_1_105_c.jpeg

I have the same gauge works great