What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

4 hours ago, Mick S said:

I smoked a pork shoulder yesterday and let it rest overnight. Today I'm making a green chile stew using some very fresh Hatch green chiles I roasted and peeled. Gonna be great for dinner tomorrow!

GCS.thumb.jpg.dbef69fb8252cdcec6e9257a16ea61c7.jpg

Mick, that's a low blow.  :wub:

Mick, I was able to find some Hatch pepper plants this spring. They were good but not as good as the ones from the Hatch Valley. They say it’s the soil there that gives them their distinct flavor. 

Set another plate, I’m on my way! 

9 hours ago, Mick S said:

I smoked a pork shoulder yesterday and let it rest overnight. Today I'm making a green chile stew using some very fresh Hatch green chiles I roasted and peeled. Gonna be great for dinner tomorrow!

So basically you spent parts of three days making one meal? :P

• Haha 1

But they will be popular! Nut, I may have missed it but what are the tentative plans for the wedding? 

My son and his long term gf were planning on a bunch of us going to Vegas in May for their wedding but that went south with CV19. So without telling anyone, they were married in their home by a neighbor preacher and the preachers wife was the witness. They told us the next day when they brought us a piece of the cake. 

The clearing looks damn good, btw. 

9 hours ago, Coop said:

what are the tentative plans for the wedding? 

As of this minute we can have 88 guests and masks are required. There are exceptions for when you have to wear a mask and yeah.... Our date is December 19th and we'll be getting married that day it just depends on how many people are going to be there and if we do a reception once all the excitement is done.

• Like 1

Goodluck. My sister's big wedding end of September is postponed a year and they're going to do a small ceremony this year. His family lives in NYC so it's up in the air if they'll be able to come still.

I need to get some pictures up here soon. I started cleaning the shop. My father in law needed a TV so I took down the one that was in my shop which I never used. Only had it there because no one else wanted it. Got the air compressor up on the wall. I need to go through and throw out a bunch of junk scraps and figure out some sort of lumber rack.

I maybe tweaked my back some Friday night when my neighbor called and said he had a truckload of sod and asked if I wanted it for the common area behind our house. Hopefully the sod takes and my back heals in the next day or two.

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

This was all work done this weekend. Humidity was low so outside work wasn't awful. 

You my friend have a very different opinion of humidity! I thought it was terrible on Saturday the only good thing was the sun wasn't out. Of course I ride a desk most days so spending the day in the woods cutting trees is always going to seem like real work to me LOL 

Your yard looks awesome!! You've got a lot done since I was over a few weeks back.

Good luck with the wedding!! My daughters pre wedding wedding is the 22nd in Chicago. 30 people, masks must be worn by everyone but my daughter, the groom, the minister, and apparently me while walking her down the isle. No dancing, touching, etc should be interesting :)

26 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Goodluck. My sister's big wedding end of September is postponed a year and they're going to do a small ceremony this year. His family lives in NYC so it's up in the air if they'll be able to come still.

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Good luck with the wedding!! My daughters pre wedding wedding is the 22nd in Chicago. 30 people, masks must be worn by everyone but my daughter, the groom, the minister, and apparently me while walking her down the isle. No dancing, touching, etc should be interesting

Thanks, Just cause it's interesting the exceptions for wearing masks right now are

" 1. when eating or drinking 2. when demonstrating physical exertion, including dancing 3. when addressing or presenting to all event attendees."

So my loophole so the wedding party isn't wearing masks is to have them introduce them selves or something. Then it is with out a question them presenting to or addressing all attendees. This whole thing makes me want to just do immediate family and then host a reception in the summer at out place or something. Then i won't have to worry about number of people or kids attending.

8 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

You my friend have a very different opinion of humidity! I thought it was terrible on Saturday the only good thing was the sun wasn't out. Of course I ride a desk most days so spending the day in the woods cutting trees is always going to seem like real work to me LOL 

I started my weekend Friday and it was nice then. The spraying was very low effort with 30 min of shop time to cool off as the dye dried.

33 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I maybe tweaked my back some Friday night when my neighbor called and said he had a truckload of sod and asked if I wanted it for the common area behind our house. Hopefully the sod takes and my back heals in the next day or two.

Make sure to water it a LOT. Sod needs a good 3 weeks of heavy watering to repair the root disruption from being cut. For your back i got nothing.... hope it heals up quick.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Make sure to water it a LOT. Sod needs a good 3 weeks of heavy watering to repair the root disruption from being cut. For your back i got nothing.... hope it heals up quick.

Funnily enough, he had leftover sod after doing a job where the guy over-watered the sod. Apparently he watered it so much it all rotted. We're out of town next week so I'll either have to get a neighbor to water it or go buy a timer for the sprinkler. 

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Funnily enough, he had leftover sod after doing a job where the guy over-watered the sod. Apparently he watered it so much it all rotted. We're out of town next week so I'll either have to get a neighbor to water it or go buy a timer for the sprinkler. 

Wow that's a first didn't know that was possible. Every day or every other day about a good 5 min soak, for 3 weeks is usually enough for when i cut and place sod from one spot in my yard to another. I'm usually pretty proactive when i have to remove grass to reuse it somewhere else. Why let good established grass go to waste?

• Like 1

Sod comes with the shallow root crown in soil. Over watering typically liquifies that soil, causing sun damage to the exposed crown. There are also a lot of organisms in healthy soil. I have seen sod rot in rolls on a skid when it gets wet. I’ve laid acres in a previous job. I don’t miss it. 

On 8/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, pkinneb said:

Good luck with the wedding!! My daughters pre wedding wedding is the 22nd in Chicago. 30 people, masks must be worn by everyone but my daughter, the groom, the minister, and apparently me while walking her down the isle. No dancing, touching, etc should be interesting :)

As you’re smiling behind your mask, knowing that a wedding for 30 people cost a lot less than one with 150 people! :D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Coop said:

As you’re smiling behind your mask, knowing that a wedding for 30 people cost a lot less than one with 150 people! :D

I wish!! This is the pre wedding wedding... the "real" wedding is next July and I wrote the final check for that last December ;)