What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

5 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Ordered a second Makita cordless palm router during their sale $111 all in, saved $25. I have gotten so used to the other one that it will be nice to have two ready to go. I will probably throw two of my Bosch Colts on CL to recoup some funds.

I’d be interested in one too, unless @Chestnut wants them both.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I was thinking $40 a piece but i'm open to offers too :) 

I'll take 1 at $40. They are good routers. I don't need 2 as this would now be my 3rd palm router.... and 6th overall. I took your advise and got some cheap ones and it's nice having a couple bits mounted and ready.

5 hours ago, treeslayer said:

That’s a lot more work than most people realize Drew but it’s looking great already

Doing it while it's 90 and humid doesn't help but i just have been taking things slow. I have a 6' x 10 foot utility trailer I've loaded that up about 4 feet tall 4 times now in brush removed from my property. It feels like i haven't even made a dent.

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

is the soil particularly sandy up there, or just looking light-colored in those photos?

Yes ... and no. It really depends. Part of my half acre lot is beach sand part is clay and the other part is silty sand. Sand is great, and i quite lake clay as well. Silt can take a leap that stuff is AWEFUL. I could get really in the weeds geology wise but our soils are mixed dramatically because glaciers.

• Like 2

Just leave it.  Down there, it's Centipede, so might be a little slower creeping than Bermuda.  It's not that hard to pull it out.  I moved that pile of grass today, with the loader, and it looks a lot better, but I didn't think to take a picture.

Still trying to find the right tools for each job.  Ordered one of these for one type of plant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VMG9BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

I don't know how to do anything but work.  

There is one type of water weed, that so far, only fingers can get around the root ball, and pull it up in one movement.  I'm hoping that one will replace the fingers down into the muck.  Everything else I have has the tines too far apart, and one tine will just make it move to the side, and may take multiple passes to get one out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Looks great Mick, shop furniture don’t have to be pretty just functional but yours is both, well done

Nonsense. When he edge bands the ply with walnut with walnut drawer fronts, then it will be purty. Or, in Mick’s case, with mesquite. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

That's the way we should always meet.

Wish i could have more of ya over.

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Had the pleasure of meeting up with @Chestnut and taking a tour of his awesome shop space and showroom, also known as his home. Drew has quite the setup for his well equipped shop and lumber stacks that would make any woodworker drool. I can honestly say if there was a store bought piece of furniture in their home I didn't notice it :) 

Thanks for the time Drew always a pleasure.  As soon as the basements done I hope to have you guys out to our place.

Thanks for the input on my side board project you steered me away from something that was overly complicated and probably wouldn't have made a difference.

I watched my next-door neighbor's deck being built yesterday. They had the frame/railings up for about a week and haven't been able to find any top boards. Guess they decided to do 2x8s maybe 2x6s. Good thing he'll be staining it dark brown. Took these guys 7 hours to put up 11 rows, about 20' wide. I've never seen 2 guys work so slow. They seem to be using a framing nailer and screws once it's nailed in and cut the 2x8s vertically on the miter saw.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

I watched my next-door neighbor's deck being built yesterday. They had the frame/railings up for about a week and haven't been able to find any top boards. Guess they decided to do 2x8s maybe 2x6s. Good thing he'll be staining it dark brown. Took these guys 7 hours to put up 11 rows, about 20' wide. I've never seen 2 guys work so slow. They seem to be using a framing nailer and screws once it's nailed in and cut the 2x8s vertically on the miter saw.

That's what you get when you hire "professionals":ph34r:

• Haha 1