What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

As in, best suited to city driving compared to ICE vehicles, or best suited to city driving rather than highway driving? 

I mean to say they are best suited to destinations close to your home base.  These could involve highway or side street driving, but the round trip should be less than your range.  

My wife's BMW i3 has a range on batteries of about 80 miles in the summer.  From flat to fully charged (240V) takes 4 1/2 hours.  So while you could in theory drive to a destination 80 miles away to a known charging station you need to plan to be there for 4 1/2 hours.  Charging stations are becoming more numerous, but they aren't going to be as numerous as gas stations for a long while.  The only charging station you can truly count on is the one in your garage.  So for trips within say 30 miles of home the i3 is great.  We live in the Chicago metro area; 30 miles will get us to a lot of stores/friends/destinations.  

Teslas go farther and may charge faster, but all the same calculations apply.

Now that said, a nice thing about electrics is the "tank" is always full.  You always plug the car in when your home so when you go out to the car, it's charged.  Run an errand, come home, the battery is only partially discharged.  It will recharge in an hour or two while you do whatever it is you came home to do.

• Thanks 1

@Mark J thanks! I thought that’s what you meant but wasn’t sure. Good info. 
We aren’t planning to do any traveling in the electric vehicle, really just for commuting and shopping without the kids. 
Longer trips will be in our “kid carrier” anyway.

Then I think you will be happy with that plan.  

A couple of provisos for anyone thinking of going electric.  The range is going to be effected by severe cold (not so much a NC thing, but I live in the north).  Don't worry, the grocery store that was 3 miles away in the summer is still only 3 miles away in the winter.  

Second you absolutely need a 240V circuit in the garage (or wherever you park).  There is no realistic way to charge these things on 120V.  Before you go out to buy one make sure you can get enough juice out there, and I believe that Tesla wants a 50 amp circuit (other vehicles draw 30).  

11 hours ago, Coop said:

Chip, I don’t own a rifle and know nothing about them but do own several hand guns and shotguns. A friend of mine who recently passed, was in the Korean War and left several books on the war  behind which I acquired. They all mentioned the BAR and those that carried them were the elite or maybe I should say, fortunate. Are the modern day models, similar to the ones used then? 

In name only Coop. It can’t be made full auto, but is a semiautomatic. With a three round magazine in what’s clearly a hunting rifle, my state calls it an assault rifle for having that semiautomatic action. Browning’s line of semi rifles all carry the name BAR, a bit of a misnomer as that stands for “Browning Automatic Rifle.” The line was introduced back in 1967; this model they started making in 2017. 

The original BAR was introduced in 1917 I believe, so made it into WWI. A faster rate of fire was built in before WWII, and although the military BAR was used in Nam, it’s been phased out for a long time now.

I recall reading what the Germans thought when they heard a BAR. Its sound did strike fear into their lines. 

• Like 1

Lots of good info, @Mark J!. Our new house has two 200 amp panels and neither one is even half full (I have no idea why they did this, but I do appreciate it!), so we should be good on the power front. Where I’d set up the charger is in the same area where I want to build my shop, so running the 240v wiring and a subpanel will be two birds with one stone. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mark J said:

I mean to say they are best suited to destinations close to your home base.  These could involve highway or side street driving, but the round trip should be less than your range.  

My wife's BMW i3 has a range on batteries of about 80 miles in the summer.  From flat to fully charged (240V) takes 4 1/2 hours.  So while you could in theory drive to a destination 80 miles away to a known charging station you need to plan to be there for 4 1/2 hours.  Charging stations are becoming more numerous, but they aren't going to be as numerous as gas stations for a long while.  The only charging station you can truly count on is the one in your garage.  So for trips within say 30 miles of home the i3 is great.  We live in the Chicago metro area; 30 miles will get us to a lot of stores/friends/destinations.  

Teslas go farther and may charge faster, but all the same calculations apply.

Now that said, a nice thing about electrics is the "tank" is always full.  You always plug the car in when your home so when you go out to the car, it's charged.  Run an errand, come home, the battery is only partially discharged.  It will recharge in an hour or two while you do whatever it is you came home to do.

How much of a rise does your home electric bill get?

I was looking at car chargers, for the rental house, and was surprised to see a very large selection on Home Depot's online site.  They even had some refurbished ones.

A lot of the people renting lake houses to work from during the off season drive electric cars.

19 minutes ago, RichardA said:

How much of a rise does your home electric bill get?

I couldn't really tell you.  I bought the car about the same time as I put a 240V heater in the shop along with a 3HP dust collector.  So I'm writing bigger checks to ComEd, but I don't know for what.  Wife never goes to the gas station, though.  

12 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I was looking at car chargers, for the rental house, and was surprised to see a very large selection on Home Depot's online site.  They even had some refurbished ones.

A lot of the people renting lake houses to work from during the off season drive electric cars.

That's not a bad idea.  Be aware that Tesla uses a proprietary plug.  I believe every other maker uses the industry standard plug.  Most EVSE appliances have one type of plug or the other, but someone out there may make a unit with both.    Or an adapter.

Yeah even the base model Tesla had incredible acceleration from any speed. A friend went with me on the test drive and I’d occasionally stomp on the accelerator when he was leaning forward playing with settings and it would put him back against the headrest every time :P

• Haha 1

I ordered an E-bike last month, due here in a couple of weeks, mainly to get a little more exercise, rehab my 50-years-ago-football-injury-bone-on-bone arthritic knee, hoping to put off a replacement for as long as possible and have a little fun outdoors. Tops out at 28 mph with a range of 25 - 45 miles. We are semi-rural, but have a grocery store, our family doctor, our vet, pharmacy, True Value Hardware and a couple of restaurants within 3 miles of here. 

Anyone else e-biking? 

• Like 2