What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Nice work Ross, I hear they can be a little particular to install, never have done it myself. I see you put the slides on the bottom of the drawer, I seem to recall discussion about where to place them, I’ve placed them anywhere from the bottom up to the middle and don’t think it matters, well done sir!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Nice work Ross, I hear they can be a little particular to install, never have done it myself. I see you put the slides on the bottom of the drawer, I seem to recall discussion about where to place them, I’ve placed them anywhere from the bottom up to the middle and don’t think it matters, well done sir!

Thanks, Dave. These are about an inch or so up the side of the drawer, mostly because that is where I could reach to mark them with the drawer in place. I think you are right, it really doesn't seem to matter much.

20 hours ago, Mark J said:

I know these quiet close drawer slides are very popular, but I personally hate them.  You have to yank on the drawer to get it to open, and frankly I've never had that much trouble closing a drawer :).  But I'm in the tiny minority.  

I've been told they break in with time and that yank softens a lot. My favorite install is one soft close one regular minimizes that yank but still provides the functionality.

If you try the blum tandem they are also in a different world than most of the side mount slides.

Soft close cabinet doors though are worth every penny imo.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:00 PM, wtnhighlander said:

First time using full extension  soft-close drawer slides. Being me, of course I had to use them on a 5 ft. wide, open front drawer.....

Message_1591661035025.thumb.jpg.2393ff728d6bd95f3d680d8cbe150d56.jpg

If only there was enough room to fully extend. I had to install them with the table upside down on my saw, the only surface large enough. Went pretty smoothly, though.

We need to gather at your place one weekend and have an old time Amish “shop raising” and git you more room to work. The quality of work is already there but would allow you more room to step back and admire it!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I finally have one section of our point under grass seed, and straw.  It's supposed to rain tonight.  

It might seem like this is late for planting grass seed, but I'm using Bermuda, and it calls for ground temps above 65 degrees.  It hasn't been that warm for long.

Rain has been messing up sections when I was trying to get the whole thing ready, so I switched to doing one section at a time.  This section has been raked three times now, and I fell like kids will be able to run in the grass barefooted, and not step on a stone.  It's the end 150' of the point.

It took me until 3 this afternoon to spread 10 bales of straw by hand.  I was planning to rent a blower, but doing it one section at a time, it's not worth driving an hour, one way, and pay $150 a day to rent a blower.  I don't think it's possible to even get one half of the point ready between rains.  Weather report is calling for 3 to 5 inches over the next few days, so I expect there will be some washing on the bare part.  

IMG_2535.JPG

• Like 1

Fingers crossed.  There are already spots of volunteer Bermuda scattered around there.

In the end of the cove to the left, there is a good stand of Centipede, but that takes too long to get established for this bare ground.  I may decide to overseed it with Centipede, at some point, but the Bermuda should like it there.  I don't know why the Centipede is where it is, but it was already there when we first came here, so probably somone planted some. 

The local High School ball field has been Bermuda for as long as I've known anything about it.  The story goes that when they were first building it, they told all the students to bring the "Wire Grass" to school that their Parents pulled out of their gardens.  Everyone had gardens back then. Wire Grass is what you call Bermuda when it's growing somewhere you don't want it.

The students piled the runners in the end zones, and one day they got all the students to go out, and plug it into the bare ground on the ball field.  That's what's still growing there.

• Like 1

My main sump pump and battery backup pump were replaced yesterday morning.  The recent record rains had revealled some problems with the old units.  Good to have this done.  

In the afternoon I discovered my desktop computer would no longer boot, so yesterday evening was spent shopping for a computer in a surprisingly crowded computer store.  (I encountered more strangers last night then I did the entire month of May).  

Now I'll have to spend a good bit of time today setting up the new one.  Fortunately I was able to get the old machine to boot up in safe mode' so I'll be able to transfer some files.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

so yesterday evening was spent shopping for a computer in a surprisingly crowded computer store.

At the beginning of everyone transitioning to work from home there was a run on computer monitors among other things. I'm sure with more and more kids doing some sort of distance learning computer/tablet sales will remain high. Registering our daughter for kindergarten this week and they asked if we had equipment she could use to distance learn on.

It is so strange seeing large crowds now.

4 minutes ago, Mick S said:

I delivered my Jet 6" jointer I had prior to getting my Hammer to a friend's growing shop. Nice to have it out of the garage but I'll miss the extra horizontal surface for stacking offcuts.

IMG_16061.jpeg.a95a6702a1d6bb74911bd047ada6c166.jpeg

Yeah, offcut storage really is a PITA.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mick S said:

I delivered my Jet 6" jointer I had prior to getting my Hammer to a friend's growing shop. Nice to have it out of the garage but I'll miss the extra horizontal surface for stacking offcuts.

IMG_16061.jpeg.a95a6702a1d6bb74911bd047ada6c166.jpeg

I just realized what looks so familiar in this photo.  That's my pickup, even the same color.  That yours, or the jointer's new owner's?

• Like 1

Been setting up and re-loading the new computer I had to buy.  I am delightfully surprised.  First it boots up very quickly and the thing is stone quiet, it has an SSD which is itself quiet, but the fans don't even run most of the time (Gee, I hope it's not defective).  

I wasn't looking forward to Windows 10, and I still think it's an annoying pile, but I have figured out how to get rid of the tiles and keep it from demanding a password (Heaven forbid that anyone should have unfettered access to their own computer in their own house).  But best of all I was able to get my old (as in 12 years old) wireless keyboard and mouse set to work on the new computer.  I had figured this was a lost cause as I had not been able to get the mouse to work on Windows 7 in the past, but with a little perseverance with Logitech I was able to find that they had a Win 10 driver and where they had buried it on their web site.  I love this mouse (MX5500 Revolution), I think it's the best one Logitech ever made --and I won't even look at another company's mouse. 

And if this all wasn't enough computer joy for one day, I discovered, again contrary to what I had been led to believe, that I am able to run my 20 year old copy of Quicken on the new machine.  I've already downloaded LibreOffice, but I'm tempted to try and install my 20 year old copy of MS Office, too.