What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

run the "netplwiz" utility, it should allow you to set your PC to boot without asking for a password.

Yup, that's how I did it, but you also have to change something in settings so that you don't need a password when the screensaver kicks in.

Actually I've been thinking of Linux for a while.  The plan was to get a new computer, then use the old one to go Linux, but the old girl gave it up on me.  And after only 14 years :(.

12 minutes ago, Mark J said:

So all in all a pretty good trip around the links.

I don't golf but I imagine it is like a lot of other things.  The worst day of golf is still better then the best day of working.

28 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

So, Elon still allows the human some control of the vehicle? :P

Haha yeah. I have no interest in the self driving features, and didn’t really even have the nerve to try them out on the test drive. The tech in it was not as overbearing as I thought it might be. 

• Like 2

My last vehicle was a 2006 Highlander Hybrid which my son is still driving.  It has more than 225k on the original battery pack and still going.  Personally, I don't have any worries about hybrid technology. 

I do agree that vehicles with an all electric powertrain are best suited to city driving.  

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

I do agree that vehicles with an all electric powertrain are best suited to city driving.  

As in, best suited to city driving compared to ICE vehicles, or best suited to city driving rather than highway driving? 

5 hours ago, Tpt life said:

I think that is why hybrid would appeal more to me. I still think batteries will be worse long term environmentally. I just am not wanting to go back to horses. 

I know this was definitely the case in the early hybrid/electric days, but from what I’ve read more recently, the scales are tipping. Battery end of life handling still needs to be improved for sure, but some groups suggest that the positive during the life of the vehicle outweighs the negative of the battery EOL handling. Some of that may rely on us finding a better way to handle/recycle the batteries by the time they start to die in large quantities.

Chip, I don’t own a rifle and know nothing about them but do own several hand guns and shotguns. A friend of mine who recently passed, was in the Korean War and left several books on the war  behind which I acquired. They all mentioned the BAR and those that carried them were the elite or maybe I should say, fortunate. Are the modern day models, similar to the ones used then? 

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

the positive during the life of the vehicle outweighs the negative of the battery EOL handling. Some of that may rely on us finding a better way to handle/recycle the batteries by the time they start to die in large quantities.

Supposedly, there was a study done during the early days of the Prius, showing that when the mining, transport, manufacture, and disposal of the minerals used to make those batteries, the Prius had a larger carbon footprint that a Hummer. 

Disclaimer, I never saw this study, but was told about by a colleague who claimed to have read it. 

My big question to most electric vehicle makers: why make them look so goofy?