What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

2 hours ago, RichardA said:

That's what you get when you hire "professionals":ph34r:

Would it help if I said the deck was 18" off the ground? His last deck rotted out within 8 years. I've never seen a deck with no space between the boards. Hopefully this one will last.

8 hours ago, legenddc said:

...haven't been able to find any top boards. 

I was talking to my neighbor last night and he said they are out of almost all treated lumber at the Menards he manages. He said getting stock is getting harder everyday. His brother who manages a Chrysler /Ram  service department said the same thing, getting parts is getting really difficult. In my little bubble of the world I hadn't really realized how bad the virus was effecting product flow.

4 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I was talking to my neighbor last night and he said they are out of almost all treated lumber at the Menards he manages. He said getting stock is getting harder everyday. His brother who manages a Chrysler /Ram  service department said the same thing, getting parts is getting really difficult. In my little bubble of the world I hadn't really realized how bad the virus was effecting product flow.

Parts may be a virus issue but deck boards are a result of people redoing their decks since they're spending more time at home. When we did our deck back in April the lumber dealer was having discounts never seen before. 

Nintendo Switches have been sold out since mid-March. I suspect laptops will be sold out in a month as kids 'go back' to school virtually.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

...I suspect laptops will be sold out in a month as kids 'go back' to school virtually.

I work for a Dell reseller. Getting Chromebooks is getting really hard to come by. School districts are buying thousands at a time.

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

Parts may be a virus issue

I follow a mechanic on YouTube (South Main Auto) and he says they've been busier than they have ever been.  People opting to do major repairs on cars that aren't worth anything.  I reckon a lot of stuff that would have been headed to the crusher is getting fixed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Robby W said:

I work for a Dell reseller. Getting Chromebooks is getting really hard to come by. School districts are buying thousands at a time.

Thanks for the reminder to make sure my mom's old laptop can handle only school for my kindergartner. If not, I need to buy a Chromebook ASAP.

9 hours ago, krtwood said:

I follow a mechanic on YouTube (South Main Auto) and he says they've been busier than they have ever been.  People opting to do major repairs on cars that aren't worth anything.  I reckon a lot of stuff that would have been headed to the crusher is getting fixed.

Good to know. I would assume since Virginia isn't requiring inspections right now that work is slow since that's usually when people realize their car is broken.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks like a nice spot to relax, Drew. There was a time I might have been able to suggest a good ground cover, but time has blurred most of those memories. Your climate is quite different, anyway.

IMO, I'd go for the lowest maintenance possible. Time is precious.

I'll go lowish maintenance, I enjoy gardening and landscaping stuff so having something that gets me outside in the summer for an hour or so a day is nice. It's one of the nice things about getting snow and winter, you get a break from landscaping maintenance for half the year.

• Like 2