What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Maybe not all truckers. Some of the people driving them don't seem to have the same respect for other motorists as they used to.

There's an explaination for that, but it's political, and I won't go into it on here. But if you need a little truth, PM me.

Now, I'm jealous!!

Drew, it looks like you have an indeterminate tomato in that they just keep on growing as opposed to a determinate that is a shorter, bushier type. And yeah, I would definitely get some taller stakes to support them as those are some nice looking plants.

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

Now, I'm jealous!!

Drew, it looks like you have an indeterminate tomato in that they just keep on growing as opposed to a determinate that is a shorter, bushier type. And yeah, I would definitely get some taller stakes to support them as those are some nice looking plants.

Yes both are indeterminate species, Early girl and Better Boy. I opt for the center stake method vs cage, i had a master Gardner show me the stake method once and I'll never go back to cages. Though i feel that cages may be better for determinate plants I've had good luck staking both.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Do you need to take care, will the charge you or your vehicle in a setting like that?

They don't seem to mind us a bit and are not at all aggressive. We do keep our distance from all wildlife as a matter of practice though.

A few years ago, while trail running, I came around a corner and almost ran into a big male. He was about 20' away and we just stared at each other for about 30 seconds. Then he wandered away. It's in a national park and they know humans won't harm them.

Preparing for hurricane Isaias. It appears the eye will not make it here but come close. So I will not put up the shutters.It is Cat 1 and I expect less than hurricane force winds here. However I am confident I can tolerate 80 plus winds without shutters. I am expecting 35 t0 60 mph wind speeds.also it is moving fast. We don't want it lingering around here. Hurricane Francis several years ago, a large cat3 put its eye off shore nearby and stayed for 24 hours. The damage was equal to a fast moving cat 5. If there wasn't covid, this is the kind of hurricane for parties. I have been through several. The most unnerving part that I am still not used to is the sound. Very loud like a freight train. Eventually it seems like the peak but then it gets louder. That goes on for a few hours. Then it finally is peaking and starts to subside. One of the many reasons a fast moving storm is desirable. The biggest pain was attaching my topper for the PU truck. I have it suspended above the truck parking spot. Hot sweaty dirty work. All hurricane work is nasty because It is very hot and humid in hurricane season. Which makes the aftermath the worst. I hope we keep the power. Living in South Florida air conditioning is a necessity not a luxury. No power you cant even open the widows. The screens are blown away and the mosquitos are thick!.

Many people have generators . They assume when power goes out. I say if. And have no generator. If it appears power is out for a long time, my plan is to get a window ac and a generator. I will go as far as necessary to get what I need. But this time I think if power is lost it will be fixed soon. I am close to the first to be hit. Trucks from utility companies all around the Southeast are rolling or are here now..They cooperate well. And the mechanics like the work. It includes a lot more pay. I think 2 am Sunday is the peak here....

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Why put the topper on the truck?  To keep it from being blown away?

The topper was suspended from an outside ceiling exposed to the weather. I would expect some kind of damage if gale force wind started playing with it. The topper widows need cleaning and I wouldn't be able to see through the topper windows. I will drive a car for the next few days.