Trimming cabinets in place.

crumlett

Good Evening all, 
we just replaced the washer and drier with some new ones on pedestals. The leveling feet are already bottomed out but the units are still about 1/4" too tall to fit under the installed cabinets. The cabinets have a face frame made of alder and I would actually like to trim the cabinet so the washer and drier fit underneath. What's the best way to go about this that would leave a good-straight cut?
I don't have a track saw and the only option I can realistically think of is to mount a piece of wood on the backside of the frame and use it as a guide for a pull-saw or something similar. I know there's oscillating tools, but those always leave really unfinished cuts for me. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

20181129_182927.thumb.jpg.c96000b86c5a59454d7215a98aa589b4.jpg

Screw the feet all the way out of the machines, and shim/wedge as needed.  Our latest washing machine is sitting on two strips of wood for a very similar reason.

If you do decide to cut it, score the line as neatly as you can with a utility knife, and straight edge of some sort, before you cut it any kind of way.

6 hours ago, Isaac said:

Any possibility of over cutting it, by whatever means, and then coming back over it with an 1/8” veneer piece ?

not really. The cabinet company has a proprietary stain color and they won't tell me the recipe. I've attempted to replicate it, and have gotten close....but still noticeably different when comparing the two side by side

I would raise the cabinets.  If they are already against the ceiling (unlikely, probably trim), take 'em down pull the doors, clamp on a straight edge and use a router and straight bit, put 'em back.  Use your "almost there" stain to color the bottom edge you have trimmed. In that location, close enough may do ya.

• Like 1

Special secret stain... lol as if i buy from a cabinet company because they have some special color. That's a good one. If anything that's an anti feature. The marketing literature should read "We have stain colors that your wife will want you to match but you'll never be able to get it quite right. Which will lead to endless arguments and divorce." Ok maybe a bit drastic but still that seems foolish how would you color match trim?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

I would raise the cabinets.  If they are already against the ceiling (unlikely, probably trim), take 'em down pull the doors, clamp on a straight edge and use a router and straight bit, put 'em back.  Use your "almost there" stain to color the bottom edge you have trimmed. In that location, close enough may do ya.

I'd go with this...   

Empty the cabinets... remove the screws which hold the cabinets to each other(in the face frame), and then there are going to be a couple screws in the top going into studs.   They're really easy to remove.

We have cabinets above our washer/dryer and they're more annoying than anything.   One big problem they introduce is you can't easily reach behind to shut off the water.   I've been tempted to replace them with shelves.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:49 AM, Chestnut said:

Special secret stain... lol as if i buy from a cabinet company because they have some special color. That's a good one. If anything that's an anti feature. The marketing literature should read "We have stain colors that your wife will want you to match but you'll never be able to get it quite right. Which will lead to endless arguments and divorce." Ok maybe a bit drastic but still that seems foolish how would you color match trim?

You don't. You go back to them for any and all your needs...