Best Hold fast

Ronn W

My two are from blacksmith Peter Ross and they are exceptional but they were $85 bucks a few years ago.  One thing I’ve heard about the TFWW holdfasts That Chestnut has is occasionally they are too smooth to hold in certain benches.  However, sanding or dimpling seems to usually fix it.  Also heard good things about the one from black bear forge.  There’s been several that have come out in 5he last year or so.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-HOLDFAST.XX/Holdfasts_by_Gramercy_Tools

Others are more expensive but they all are the same. These are the ones i have that i told you about and they work great for me.

Is your top really 3"? Looked thinner than that.... huh.

I have to agree, for the money I don't see how you can beat these. I love my pair of them. I glued leather on the business end, which helped them grip much better. They work well in both my sliding dead man, which is 1 3/4", as well as in my 4" top (both hard maple).

48 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Based on general consensus of thei illustrious group of sawdust creators,   I have purchase a pair Gramercy hold fasts.  I also made a wood mallet.  It's a little light but it works. 

Use some contact cement and glue some leather pieces on them, It'll hold better and not mar your work piece.

• Like 2

Another +1 for Gramercy holdfasts. 

I had to rough mine up with some 80 grit sandpaper. My bench top is thicker than most (3 1/2"), and they simply would not work out of the box. I also used a very smooth boring bit for my dog holes, so that might have been a factor also. The holdfasts work great now, though! Definitely hard to beat for the price!

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, SawDustB said:

I have to agree, for the money I don't see how you can beat these. I love my pair of them. I glued leather on the business end, which helped them grip much better. They work well in both my sliding dead man, which is 1 3/4", as well as in my 4" top (both hard maple).

Could you find them in Canada or did you have to order them from TFWW?

On 12/29/2018 at 10:56 AM, Chestnut said:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-HOLDFAST.XX/Holdfasts_by_Gramercy_Tools

Others are more expensive but they all are the same. These are the ones i have that i told you about and they work great for me.

Is your top really 3"? Looked thinner than that.... huh.

+1 I bought a pair of these while making my Guild Split Top Roubo.  Take some rough sand paper and twist them around a few times.  After that, they bound well in the bench top.  Never had a problem with them.  Made in the USA.  Enough said.