I love this book

collinb

I have been a MP fan for a while. No doubt his style and approach have influenced my own pieces heavily for the last few years.

I really enjoyed sitting down with this book. Nice approach, nice execution, beautifully photographed. 

For anyone interested in veneer work, Craig Thibodeau's new book is very well done, also.

• Like 1

I am currently reading The Anarchist Tool Chest, got it for Christmas. I can't recommend it enough. I wish I had read it 2 years ago, would have saved me a lot of money and a LOT of time. @collinb your description of The Why and How of Woodworking sounds similar to The Anarchist Tool Chest. Have your read both? Would it be redundant to do so?

If not then I will make Why and How next on my list.

18 hours ago, jplemons said:

“Usually ships in 1 to 2 months.”

What?!!?

I had the same thoughts. The ebook version is available on the taunton store, and they don't have the print version right now. I'm guessing they are waiting on another print run. I'll see if the Woodcraft has it next time I'm there, but I'm guessing they won't.

I love this book as well, and pre-ordered it when they announced it. 

I tried to post a review on Taunton's site but it never did "take," so here's my two cents on this thread. 

Very much worth the buy and the time to read. Nicely constructed hardcover book, well-written, organized and produced, and the author has a warm writing style that's engaging without being far above you in low earth orbit. I would buy it as a gift for someone, and would buy another from this author. :) 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:51 AM, Coyote Jim said:

I am currently reading The Anarchist Tool Chest, got it for Christmas. I can't recommend it enough. I wish I had read it 2 years ago, would have saved me a lot of money and a LOT of time. @collinb your description of The Why and How of Woodworking sounds similar to The Anarchist Tool Chest. Have your read both? Would it be redundant to do so?

+1000000000 for The Archistists Toolchest.  I never thought I would nerd out on paper type and how the binding  is sewn...but it makes the book feel more like a durable good (and me less likely to use as a coaster). The $120 Roubo plates book is my next purchase.   Unrelated matter, can I borrow $120?   

______

Love Mike P and thanks for the recommendation.  I always associated QSWO with huge chunky 4/4 and 5/4 dimension arts and crafts furniture.  His use of QSWO on elegant pieces, 3/8” and 1/2” changed my mind completely. BTW, he mentioned on STL that some copies have a defect whereby pages are falling out and to contact him directly for a new (signed) copy if you have one.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:51 AM, Coyote Jim said:

Haven't read a lot of woodworking books and have not read The Anarchist.

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...