Looking for my first router need advice

Valleyslim

like the title says, im slowly trying to turn my side of a 2 car garage into a workshop,(i am a beginner) and a router would be a good addition to what little i have. I have narrowed it down to 2 routers with plunge and fixed base options here they are

1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=psdc_552866_t1_B0000DCBKN

2 https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-895PK-4-Horsepower-Fixed-Plunge/dp/B0000DCBKN/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1533939426&sr=8-6&keywords=porter+cable+router&linkCode=sl1&tag=stumpynubs-20&linkId=21cebb518ff5864b0f532414a59f080e&language=en_US

to be honest i think either 1 would be a great first router, just wanted to get your guys opinions, thanks

Here are the links the OP posted.

1. Bosch 1617 EVSPK

2. Porter Cable 895PK

Both are good packages, and I agree that you should opt for a plunge base/fixed base option. Another thing to consider is the accessories that you'll eventually need for this and other routers. Things like guide bushings are not necessarily standardized, though Porter Cables bushing size is used on many brands - Bosch being one exception. You'll have to either use their bushings or get an adapter to use PC size bushings. Guide fences are another thing to consider, ease of table mounting, etc.

As important as anything is how the router feels in your hands - the grips, switch location, balance, etc. Some plunge routers allow you to plunge after pushing down on a lever, some when you pull up on a lever. Some lock with a spring, others don't. Try to get your hands on several and get a feel for them.

• Like 2

I have 2 of the 890 sets as well and think they are a solid choice the plunge base has good DC. The plunge action isn't very smooth but it's improved if you add some dry lube to the guides.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the big names. Dewalt, Porter cable, Makita, bosch, ect all make a good router. The best selling point to the Portercable router is i think their edge guide is one of the best.

Both the routers you have listed are excellent choices. 

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Porter Cable has easily the most aftermarket accessories available. 

2. If you go with the Bosch, know that in order to use the PC style rub collars, you will need this: https://www.rockler.com/bosch-ra1129-quick-change-template-guide-adapter-kit - or you can buy that item with a number of Bosch rub collars. 

3. The Bosch 1617 EVS kit has been replaced in the Bosch line with the far spendier MRC23EVSK. I have not had any experience using this new one, but I don't see enough changes in it to warrant the uptick in price, but maybe there are features I am not aware of. The power is virtually the same.  This also means that you can usually get the 1617 EVS pk for a great price as stores sell off their existing inventory. I have the 1617 EVS pk and I really like it. 

53 minutes ago, applejackson said:

3. The Bosch 1617 EVS kit has been replaced in the Bosch line with the far spendier MRC23EVSKI have not had any experience using this new one, but I don't see enough changes in it to warrant the uptick in price, but maybe there are features I am not aware of. The power is virtually the same.  This also means that you can usually get the 1617 EVS pk for a great price as stores sell off their existing inventory. I have the 1617 EVS pk and I really like it. 

FYI - the MRC23EVSK has been out for over 10 years according to Amazon so the 1617 isn't going away anytime soon. The 1617 EVS kit goes on sale for either 179 or 189 fairly often.

35 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Bosch line with the far spendier MRC23EVSK

I was just watching a review of this model and it has a couple of features that to me makes it worth the price.  One - the power switch is on the grip now so you don't have to start one handed.  Two - it has a micro adjust on the plunge and fixed base.  That, to me would be a real nice feature.

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

FYI - the MRC23EVSK has been out for over 10 years according to Amazon so the 1617 isn't going away anytime soon. The 1617 EVS kit goes on sale for either 179 or 189 fairly often.

I believe it first hit the market in 2010 in very limited supply. 

All I know is what I am told at the store I work at that sells both packages and t hat was is what I was told - that it's the replacement for the 1617 EVSpk. 

I have 2 sets of the Bosch 1617 (each with fixed and plunge bases). I love how smoothly they start up, and the wood handles on the fixed bases feel really nice in my hand. I also have a PC 690 fixed base and while very functional, it's not the one I reach for most of the time, due to how jerky it starts up - there's noticeable torque, while the Bosch routers spin up without the torque. 

I bought the Bosch 1617 as my second router (thus the "multiples" comment is valid for me) and it resides mostly in my Bosch router table. The first was the Dewalt PK611 router/plunger combo, which works fine for most hand held jobs. It's only got a 1/4" collet, and the Bosch comes with 1/4 and 1/2" collects, making it quite flexible depending on the job. 

I second (third?) the plunger/combo kit, as you'll want those. Add to that some nice guides to go along, and maybe a vacuum hose adaptor. I wish I had the plunger base for the 1617, which is about $99 when you buy it by itself. 

Then there's the bit collection. You may want to buy a "set" of "standard" bits, but although I've done that, I'd advise against it in retrospect. Get what you're going to need for the project at hand and you'll get good quality bits at a collection rate that fits your budget (your budget will grow!). Whiteside, Freud and yes, even Yonico make decent bits, but I lean towards those first two for my stuff. 

Oh my very first router was a Craftsman back in the late 70s and it still works but is quite basic. It'll spin a bit though :) 

• 2 weeks later...

So i think im gonna save up and buy the milwaukee plunge/base set, but i want to start off with a trim router for now just for edging mdf 1/2 and 3/4 inch. Is the 1hp colt bosch a good choice for that? a couple other choices are either rigid or makita all for 99, but the bosch is on sale at lowes for 89, the rigid is tempting as it comes with as a box sander for 99$ but i dont think i would ever use a box sander as i already have a random orbiting sander, thanks for all your good input