Humidor in butternut/walnut

That's awesome! Beautiful work. I really love how well the butternut and walnut work together. The end grain on the box joints get nice and dark and because the woods are so closely related it almost looks like you did a walnut inlay on the corners.

I'm a millennial so pardon my ignorance, but are cigars still that common?

52 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

but are cigars still that common?

not real common Drew, but there are those of us who appreciate a fine stogie at the end of a long day, I'm curious to see how it does at the silent auction, not for everyone but if you get a couple of guys that want it who knows what they will pay

• Like 2

That is some awesome craftsmanship there! The nice tight joints in that top are very impressive. Curious are the groves in the the bottom functional or for looks?

I haven't smoked anything in decades but I still have a humidor on my build bucket list I just think they are cool and this one is no exception...I also want to build a guitar and have no knowledge or desire to learn how to play :o

22 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

That is some awesome craftsmanship there! The nice tight joints in that top are very impressive. Curious are the groves in the the bottom functional or for looks?

I haven't smoked anything in decades but I still have a humidor on my build bucket list I just think they are cool and this one is no exception...I also want to build a guitar and have no knowledge or desire to learn how to play :o

no groves in the bottom, if you’re talking about the inside of the top that’s the Spanish cedar 3/16” thick 1 1/2 wide lines the inside of the whole box

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Very well done Dave! The walnut that divides the box from the lid, was that an integral part of the build and you sliced the two pieces apart a that point? The lid is awesome.

Thanks Coop, the kid was cut most of the way thru on the TS and finished with a hand saw, the walnut on the lid and the main box and on the bottom was added later, I didn’t have too but I thought it would be a nice touch 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Had some short pieces of butternut and needed a piece for the church auction, box joints, butternut and walnut, Spanish Cedar interior with a lift out tray, Vertex 90 degree stop hinges, 3 coats ARS satin, thanks for looking and comments and questions are welcome as usualC2799F73-E920-478F-9FE3-A6B08A54E61C.thumb.jpeg.d141a63cb2f4ec6192490deb525ab8bc.jpegAD840BA5-C9E1-4C0B-AF66-FE0D52E9AEFF.thumb.jpeg.282aa4d7fb5cff854c728afddff5332e.jpeg

Dave, you can purchase humidor gauges including humidity gauges at JR Cigars.com.

It's really a nice job, Dave.

Still before you donate it I think you should test it out.  Buy a cigar and put it in the humidor.  Then take it out and smoke it, maybe with a sip of whiskey, just to be sure.  You've certainly earned it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...