Help me plan my dust collection system!

Tobykanobe

I will be designing my dust collection system over the next couple of months and would really appreciate some guidance from those who have been there and done it!

I snapped some pictures of where things are now.  I'm not committed to any of these locations and things like the jointer and belt/disc sander can be moved elsewhere.  Also, that sink in the corner isn't plumbed yet, so it can move.  I do envision that the wall in the photo will have all my dust collection tools.  In the picture you'll see I have a portable bosch dust collector.  I would like that devoted to my fabrication table as I do some routing, sanding, and jig saw work.

I'm currently building the WW Mitre Saw Station for the Kapex that doesn't have to be on that wall, but I would like it to be if I have room.  Seem like a good location to have it adjacent to the table saw.

Tools that need dust collection:

1.) Table Saw

2.) Mitre Saw

3.) Planer (will only hook up while using)

4.) Router Table

5. Shop vacuum on reel with long lead to clean up occasionally around the shop

If I were to plan it all myself, I would locate the dust collector where you see it now. From the Y joint on the dust collector, I would service the table saw.  On the other Y, I would then use 4" flex hose to get up to the perlin.  I would then come off of that flex hose with 4 " straight pipe.  Then, service the smaller machines with flex hose to the router table, kapex, and planer.  

I would like to use the iVAC system unless you folks have other suggestions or brands in mind.  I like the idea of not having to worry about blast gates as I'm moving through the shop.

If it matters, that dust collector is the large hp Harbor Freight.

Ready, set, go!

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

Can you do a top down view with dimensions? Also put rough locations of tools and locations for outlets. You have quite a blank slate so your layout is going to be hard because you have so many options. I like the shop, and am willing to add some help on DC.

Are you thinking of hard pipe or flex pipe for everything?

I guess also include if you like your tools out in the middle or against the wall ect. Maybe include some thoughts on future plans for tool purchases ect. That could drive layout.

I'd plan for a cyclone in the future either distant or near. The HF collector works well but if you add too much on it things won't really work well. IMO that collector can work great modified but it takes time and money and it starts to loose it's benefit. I also worry about the longevity of that motor.

For blast gates they aren't as nice as the iVac ones but the self cleaning gates from lee valley are a breeze to bump open and closed. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/workshop/dust-collection/parts-and-accessories/51506-self-cleaning-blast-gates  If you buy 4 they are very reasonable priced. I don't want to knock the iVac system but it is costly and i personally feel that you have other areas that your hard earned $$$ could go first.

I covered some DC topics in my shop journal/build here. Page 5 has some pictures towards the end of the DC setup. You can see my blast gate locations. As of right now they are SUPER easy to hit and i wouldn't ever bother with remote controlled gates. My table saw would be the 1 exception but i just leave that one open for makeup air.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

In some cases, it may be more effective to use a single, smaller DC per tool. Those floor or wall-mount versions from Rockler or HF are pretty good for that.

We did some work in a large cabinet shop a couple of years ago & every machine had its own dust extraction & filters. They said it was cheaper that way because once you get into the big systems, the requirements for fire protection get extremely expensive.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input so far!

Can you do a top down view with dimensions?

25' x 30'  As you can see, plenty of ceiling space.

Also put rough locations of tools and locations for outlets.

You'll see I have 4 outlets at each location, I think 3 on each wall.  Each duplex is on a separate circuit.  I also have the sub panel right at the shop entrance, so adding another higher voltage item some day can be done fairly easily.

Are you thinking of hard pipe or flex pipe for everything?

I'm open to this.  I have stuck in my mind that the corrugations in flex hose would impede air flow, so I thought I would do hard pipe until I come off the hard pipe to feed each machine.  Each machine would have flex pipe off the main.  Clear as mud?

I guess also include if you like your tools out in the middle or against the wall etc. Maybe include some thoughts on future plans for tool purchases etc. That could drive layout.

I like my tools against the walls, of which I have two wall.  There is a third "plane" where the table saw is.  The third wall you see in the picture is an apartment wall.  I want try to keep noise producing items off that wall.  In the middle, I have my fabrication table and a future Roubo Bench build.

Unless you convince me otherwise,  the first item closest to the table saw should be my mitre saw station.

Future major tools that would need dust collection is a band saw and a drum sander.

Don't forget I want a hose to vacuum up the shop on a reel.  That plywood one Fastcap sells looks cool.

I'd plan for a cyclone in the future either distant or near.

I am.  I 'm saving for the Roubo build and a Powermatic Band Saw.  After that, the DC upgrade would be next.

the self cleaning gates from lee valley are a breeze to bump open and closed.

I think I'll take your advice here and go with these, although a remote that turns on the DC from my apron would be nice.  I rather money goes toward some of these other items.  Thanks for the referral.

I think I'll copy WW once again and use some T111 on each wall to make the wall space useful.  That being the case, I could use some advice on height of those blast gates to make them convenient to operate.  The height question will also determine placement of the pipe, weather it be hard or flex.

More pics below.

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally getting to my dust collection system.  I'm coming off of a 4" to 2" Y that is for my Festool Kapex.  I only need a short length and one end needs that Festool connection.  The other end at the Y will be taped into the fitting.  Anyone know of a aftermarket 2" hose that includes the Festool connection?  Or something that will will be a close match?  Also looking for maybe a 2" hose recommendation?  I also need a short length of 4" flexible hose.

From the DC, it’s a 4” opening. I’m putting on a 3 way split on the DC. One will suck from tools along the wall. One services the table saw and the last will attach to a hose and reel from FastCap for shop cleanup. Along the 4” run, the first in line is the Kapex, I’m adding in a hookup to connect things like a sander and a jig saw. The last in line is my router table and jig saw which I may service both with the same hose. The last will be a 4” connection for my planer. Each intersection has a blast gate. 

Ran into a snafu as I'm closing in on finishing this.  I am replacing the forked fitting that came with the HF DC with Rockler's "trifecta" fitting, giving me three 4 inch connections.  The fitting doesn't fit onto the harbor freight directly.  I'm sure someone out there has done exactly what I'm doing.  How'd you solve it?  The OD on the DC itself is 4 7/8th.

Maybe on of those flex seal fittings with the hose clamp?

A quick check at Rockler and nothing jumped out at me except the adapter that flexes a little.

49 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

Rockler has this:

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4-rubber-union-for-dust-collection

for 4" to 4" connections.  Was the 4-7/8" OD you mentioned in an earlier message correct?  I thought the HF unit had a 4" port.

I believe the HF unit has a port for a 5" hose... and it comes with a y-adapter that reduces from 5" down to two 4" hoses.

I have one of those unions, but I'm not sure it would expand wide enough.   I can look tonight as I have the HF dust collector as well.

I doubt you’ll find something like that at your local, even the best Ace Hardware, unless it’s irrigation piping. I have the same unit and you’re right, it is about a  5” outlet. Do you have room to leave the original Y and adapt off of one side of it with your 3 way, leaving the other side capped? I just tried the Flex Seal that you mention, in the spray form. If the tape is as good as the spray, that would be a good option. Lowe’s has the tape.