Shaker Harvest Table

Mick S

Mick, your neighbor must do some incredible stone work for you to part with 40 yo cherry!  Can you provide a pic of Alison’s table and a link to the FWW Beckvoort’s to give us an idea of what’s to come? Looking forward to following this project. 

9 hours ago, Chet said:

How long of a dowel can you reasonably make that way Mick?

Only about an inch or so, maybe 1 ½". You're limited by the cutter length and also the unsupported end would start to whip, I imagine.

It's great for making dowels for pinning since you can use any species you choose. It's how I make ebony pins. Great way to use up scrap, too!

That's cool! If you and Paul keep posting about your pantorouters it's going to motivate me to buy one.

I have to ask COPD? I'm going to need that defined cause i don't understand how chronic obstructive pulmonary disease fits in here.... Other than the results from too much saw dust?

13 hours ago, Tpt life said:
On 3/3/2021 at 6:30 PM, Mick S said:

>>these are a COPD's dream. 

A bug is not allowing b this quote to work properly. I am not familiar with this reference. E-OCD maybe?

Hahaha! I believe the vaccination was on my mind when I wrote that.

I drove to Amarillo this morning to get my first shot. 4 hours each way, but relieved. Halfway back I got the text from the state of NM with my code to make a vaccination appointment that I've waited 2 months to get before in person classes start back up.

Always works that way. Always. 

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:15 PM, Coop said:

Hopefully you will be able to get your second shot in NM? 

I think I could, but I don't know if I could get it when it's due. Anyway, Alison's sister and her family are all in Amarillo, so I'll go over and spend a night with them, have some good Tex-Mex, maybe a Whataburger for breakfast the next day before heading back.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The use of a transfer punch is Brilliant!!!   I should have thought of that myself, but never have.

For those that don't know what a transfer punch is, it fits tightly in a hole of a specific size, and has a little tit that sticks out to mark the center, so you can drill parts to mate perfectly.  They come in sets.  I have a couple of sets that I use for metal work, but never ever thought about using one for simple drawbore marking.  I will be from now on!!!

38 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

Could you use a brad point drill bit?

Wow, almost forgot I had this journal going. Classes finish up for the semester this week, so I should be able to get back to it soon.

The only issue with brad points is that sometimes the spur isn't centered well, but yes, many people do just that.

19 hours ago, Mick S said:

The only issue with brad points is that sometimes the spur isn't centered well, but yes, many people do just that.

I second the off center nature of the brad point.  But you could use that to accentuate the draw bore offset.