Kaylins' Desk

Ronn W

Ron this desk is beautiful. I love the style and the details that you have added. I love the look of holly string inlay in walnut, it's so pleasing to the eye. I see this in a museum some day in the distant future.

How did you make the bead detail on the legs? Is that carved out of the blank or is it something that is mitered and glued on. Either option seems awfully difficult.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:53 PM, curlyoak said:

Did you sign and date it?

Absolutely.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:36 AM, Chestnut said:

How did you make the bead detail on the legs? Is that carved out of the blank or is it something that is mitered and glued on. Either option seems awfully difficult.

I cut a 1/8" deep grove x 1/4" wide all around each leg with the table saw.  I milled a board to 1/4" thick to fit in the grove, rounded off the edge with a 1/4" round router bit and ripped it off the board to be 1/4" + 1/8" = 3/8" wide.  Then just cut the four peices to go around each leg - used a shooting board for the miters.  Held each piece in place with tape while the glue dried.

Thank you all for the kind words.

I am thinking about trying to make a floor lamp to sit beside reading chair but, so far, have not come up with a design the I like (No lathe in the shop).  Anyone have any design sketches or ideas for me?

• Like 2