New Shop (The New Mossback Workshop)

BonPacific

@curlyoakyou best believe I was lurking through that entire thread. Before we found the new property we were actually planning a similar build at our current place, though slightly more space constrained.

@Chestnutn  unfortunately there's no practical way to not move my tools into the new space. We need to clear out and fix up our current place pretty quick, and the available storage options are expensive or inconvenient.

46 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

n unfortunately there's no practical way to not move my tools into the new space. We need to clear out and fix up our current place pretty quick, and the available storage options are expensive or inconvenient.

I will elaborate. Once you get the tools setup positioned and are using them to make stuff. If they are just in the shop and not setup that's not so bad.

I want to paint the floor and walls of my shop to cover up the concrete grey look but the thought of taking everything off the walls moving big tools undoing dust collection is just way too much work and doesn't seem worth it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:59 AM, legenddc said:

Congrats on the new place. Seems like a lot of work planned but will be well worth it in the end.

The link to your lights wasn't working for me.

Hmm, maybe this will work better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0MGBCC/

These had some good in-depth reviews, and the slightly higher than normal CRI got my attention. The price jumped recently, but they're usually around $36 each.

I'd love to go with something fancy like American Green Lights, but they're nust so expensive. That might be an upgrade for years down the line.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:15 AM, Chestnut said:

I will elaborate. Once you get the tools setup positioned and are using them to make stuff. If they are just in the shop and not setup that's not so bad.

I want to paint the floor and walls of my shop to cover up the concrete grey look but the thought of taking everything off the walls moving big tools undoing dust collection is just way too much work and doesn't seem worth it.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm definitely going to try and avoid getting anything permanently placed until I get the walls done. Everything but my bench already has some variety of wheel. I also need to lay down more rubber mats in the stall that doesn't currently have them.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, Chet said:

Thats going to be a fun space to have and set up.  What was the mirror for on the lower portion of the wall in the first picture?

I assume part of the dog agility/training course. Not something I've seen like that before. There's mirrors on two walls, and she left a third that looks like it might have been used as well.

That looks like a great space.  Congrats!  I'll toss out that I had to do my interior during the COVID craziness.  Being an aggressive shopper for all of my materials saved me a lot of money.  Some identical things were cheaper at the BORG than from a supply house.  Other things were cheaper and of better quality at somewhere like a local electrical supply place. 

My point is that some time spent at the computer can save you some serious coin.  In my mind that just meant that I now had more to spend on something I may have "value engineered" in the plans or cut out entirely due to rising costs.

Now that I am 95% "in" the shop the things that I went the extra mile on or took the time to get just how I wanted them are really paying off.  Most of all . .. have fun.  We don't get to build out a space like that from scratch very often in our lives.

• Like 2

Good looking space to work with.  Congrats.  I am in the beginning of the middle of my own new 30 x 40 space.

Reading your initial post, I had a 30x30 shop in Gig Harbor.  No insulation, walls covered with sheetrock.  I had a Mitsubishi unit for AC and heat pump.  Had no trouble keeping the space at 72 during the "winter".

New shop has sprayed foam in the wall, so far so good.  

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, justaguy said:

Good looking space to work with.  Congrats.  I am in the beginning of the middle of my own new 30 x 40 space.

Reading your initial post, I had a 30x30 shop in Gig Harbor.  No insulation, walls covered with sheetrock.  I had a Mitsubishi unit for AC and heat pump.  Had no trouble keeping the space at 72 during the "winter".

New shop has sprayed foam in the wall, so far so good.  

Nice to hear! Yeah, in some ways the spray foam will be overkill. In my thinking I'd much rather over-insulate and put less pressure on the split unit than take a couple years off it's life or bump up my power bill.

I'm also going to be doing a decent amount of resin casting for my side business, which is much more temperature-dependant than woodworking when left overnight or during our rare cold-snaps.

Edit: I've also helped clean out and replace rodent-infested batting from other pole barns, and spray foam is supposed to be a little less attractive to them.

• Like 1

Got it.

On the eternal topic of dust collection: Does anyone know if there's a good/convenient way to buy a new DC without the bags and filters and extra fittings? I already have a cyclone (though I'll eventually need to upsize from the current 5") and I'm planning to vent outside like I do currently, the loss of conditioned air isn't a big deal to me and I'd rather have the extra draw.

Related, since I'm looking to future-proof the ducting I run and have a good lead on 6" metal, how bad of an idea is it to run a 6" trunk to a 5" cyclone and DC?

CFM rating on my current DC is about 1500, but it's Harbor Freight so who knows how accurate it is, with or without bags. I'll probably upgrade to the largest thing I can afford in 220 down the line and perusing Grizzly's store (not worried about brand) that's somewhere between 2300 and 3500 CFM for the 'final' system.

The only tools currently setup for DC are my tablesaw and lathe, but I'm planning to eventually add a jointer, upgrade from my lunchbox planer, get DC somehow for my bandsaw, etc. Envisioning a trunk along the short wall for all the small/medium tools that can live with their back to the wall, and the lathe at the very end near the garage door (because there's no DC like the great outdoors). Then another large line from the DC out to the tablesaw in the middle of the main bays, ready to become a gee-dub-style tree depending on what machines end up living in the middle aisle. So depending how high I can mount my DC motor and cyclone there will only be 3-4 gentle turns to the existing machines.

• BonPacific changed the title to New Shop (The New Mossback Workshop)