Serpentine Sideboard

Ronn W

Wow. I'm often guilty of underestimating the complexity of builds and thinking something won't be that difficult. I expected this to be quite involved when you showed the first picture but this is beyond what I anticipated. 

Thank you for doing a journal on this. I think we're all going to learn a lot.

• Like 1

This project is going to be a great expansion on my limited veneering knowledge. I'm very interested in seeing how these doors come together. It's such a shame that commercial furniture has given veneer such a foul name. It really is a great technique and allows beautiful lumber to be extended further. All of those beautiful figured slabs i see and people make them into river tables just strikes me as wasteful.

I still remember the veneering lesson you gave me how ever many years ago and just want to say thank you again it's been useful ever since.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 9:00 AM, Mark J said:

If I recall correctly, some 18th century American furniture was made for cherry.  Would that be a consideration?

Yes that could be a possiblity.

BTW, 4 houts of direct sunlight did not affet the coro of the mahogany.

Yes, I think you are right that walnut can lighten over time.  I have several pieces around the house and  really have noticed a significant change, yet.

My most likely finish will be 2 coats of shellac followed by 3 wipe on/off coats of ARS satin.  Except for the top where I willl use a french polish method to filling the grain before the ARS.  The crotch mahogany doors and drawers - I will have to wait see how it looks after 2 coats of shellac.