First stab .... chop?...at cutting boards

wtnhighlander

Ok, so I chickened out on fancy end grain and wavy stripes. I was afraid of a total failure leaving me without enough time to start over before Christmas.

Anyway, here are a couple of edge grain, reversible boards, made from walnut and mulberry. Finished with a commercial beeswax / mineral oil blend.

Sorry the lighting is poor. Tried using the flash, but it came out kinda green...

e601a1676173a59cc66fd53b17da738b.jpg

Here's a better shot of one board, showing the grain:

a5c460710acfd16e0712b84d79786d7d.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

There is always beauty in simplicity.  Be proud of your work.  Art, consciousness, civilizations… all progress is all made one sequential step at a time.  Ok enough "Confucius says" these are great looking cutting boards and like Tidos says when you have time you can tackle those different styles.

It really looks good !

So no one has any concerns about the cross grain joint? I am guessing about a foot of walnut cross grain glued with a tongue and groove joint to the mulberry side pieces. What's going to happen when the walnut expands or contracts ? Maybe I tend to err on the side of caution?

If I did the math right the walnut could move between 1/4 to 1/2"

• Like 1

I too thought about the cross grain situation. With all the talk about cross grain and face to end grain gluing here lately I was surprised to see those cutting boards.

I know there is movement in wood but by the same token the air temp and humidity in a house doesn't change that much these days. With the heating and air conditioning systems keep temps fairly constant and if you have a furnace with a humidifier and an AC system with a dehumidifier all should be well. 

However, seeing that dining room table with the huge crack scared the bejesus out of me!

I've  had fairly good luck in most of my projects with the exception of one chess board that I made with the frame (floating, not glued) too tight to the field and blew out one corner. I think my son stored it in a damp basement for awhile. I remade a frame and gave it a bit more room to float the field and all is well now.

Rog

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Since there was a bit of controversy with regard to the cross-grain joints on these boards, I thought you all might like an uodate.

And the joints are still intact. The walnut has shrunk maybe 1/64", just enough that I can catch the joint with a fingernail. Well within the limits of PVA creep, it seems.

Patience, grasshopper. :)

That's a beautiful board. But I would not take that kind of a chance. It's worked out well so far, but what if you move across the country & the climate is different? Or if for some reason that board were to go into non-conditioned storage for a period of time?

I know, that's a lot of ifs, but why take a change on something beautiful that you have created?

Good update. People freak about wood movement--in this case unnecessarily. I agree with your one response that your multiple strips of walnut  in a 10-12" width almost negates the cumulative expansion and contraction across the width. Personally, i wouldnt have run the boards perpendicular, but that is because i could have had the same aesthetic with 2-3 less steps involved. 

Personally, i wouldnt have run the boards perpendicular, but that is because i could have had the same aesthetic with 2-3 less steps involved. 

Do you mean that you would just use face grain boards? I cut strips and rotated them for glue-up because I wanted more thickness. Honestly, the edge grain doesn't look much different than the face did.