Game Changer

Janello

Life isn't static and the most important thing you can do is make your family happy. I've played golf, rebuilt and shown antique cars, rode Harley's (I still do this regularly), worked Cutting horses, and a few other things. I've enjoyed every one of them, invested heavily in them and had no regrets when I moved on to the next one. You'll find one that fits your new life. Best part - happy wife, happy life. Good luck!

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

Life isn't static and the most important thing you can do is make your family happy.

This really sums it up. I know I'll be happy there too. I can live in a shed in Alaska and be happy. As long as I can enjoy an occasional beer, have a wide screen TV, fridge full of food, and a king size bed. Okay, it's a little bigger than a shed, but you get the point.

• Like 1

i think you did the right thing John, i did the opposite 22 years ago and gave up a 28X50 fully equipped shop next to the house my dad bought in 1947, for a house with a one car garage. my wife asked if i could woodwork in a one car space and i told her i could woodwork in the backseat of the car if i had to. good luck with your new adventure and hope everything goes smooth , and be sure to keep in touch.

Thanks for the support gang. I'm taking this day by day. If we get this house I'm probably going to stuff as many tools as I can in that one car garage, but my woodworking style will have to adapt..maybe I'll do some more hand tool focused things...look at what H3nry cranks out of his small space. I'll make the best of it.

Regardless, I plan to stalk this site in the future. I've made some great friends here and love seeing all the incredible craftsmanship and creations on this site.

• Like 2

When I saw Marc was moving from his dream shop I was like "how can he do that"? Then a friend a few miles down the road that built a building like mine and completely finished the inside is now moving because of his wife's job. Now you! Life changes and you'll have good memories of the old shop but no doubt any of us can figure a way to make a one car garage work. For most of us here it's about the experience no matter what tools and shop space with have. 

Good luck with the move and please don't be a stranger here. 

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

So thats a no? 

Not sure how much I'd have to sell that you'd need, But I will reach out to you once we lock in an offer and I have a better idea of a time frame Shaney...How's that? :)

I got a lot of crappy walnut and mahogany I might throw on the curb. I'm only bringing the purple heart.

• Like 1

I am in a one car garage.  Actually it is one car wide and 1.5 cars deep, but it is a small space relative to what a lot of people have.  I have full sized bandsaw, drum sander, table saw, jointer, planer, DC, drill press and I really don't feel too crowded.  My machines are just closer together than most.

Honestly, the #1 tip I can give you is pay 0 attention to other people's shops and spend 0 time on shop layout.  In a small shop, you just put stuff where it fits and then adjust.  Workflow doesn't matter because you are only 10 ft from where you need to be.   I know this is well-tread territory, but the more time you spend thinking about other people's shops, the more it corrupts your own thinking.  

I don't own plenty of things that people think are "necessary".  I don't have a proper workbench.  I don't have an outfeed table on my saw.  I don't have any base cabinets.  I don't have a miter saw.  I don't have a wall full of jigs.   I don't have an assembly table.  I don't have a wall of clamps (BTW, I think skill is inversely related to clamps.  The better my milling and joinery, the fewer clamps I need.  My goal is to clamp everything with blue painters tape :) ).   On the flipside, most folks would say my bandsaw and drum sander are overkill for hobby work.  To each their own.  

All that being said, I know for a fact I will sell all my machines one day and move on to another hobby, or just travel until I die.   My goal is to die with no possessions, so my kids can just have my cash go on a weekend bender in vegas and not worry about dealing with butt scratching, coffee sipping bottom feeder CL buyers trying to get my tablesaw for $100.  

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

While I am hardly a professional, I am operating out of half of a two car garage (effectively 1 1/2) and I have seen others work with even less and churn out better work, so I can't complain (though sometimes I still do...life's been good to me so far).

Best of luck in your new journey, and hopefully you are able to continue the hobby in some fashion - even if it is in a smaller capacity.