What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Yeah.   They drive like a car, but require a hundred dollars worth of parts, and an hour and a half of time every 8 or 10 years.   I started to order some heavier duty tie rod assemblies for $255, but the hundred buck ones lasted almost ten years, last time, and it does drive good.

One Sunday night, we were coming home from a horse show.  I was driving a 3/4 ton gas burner, back then, hauling a horse that didn't like to stand still in a trailer.  About 20 miles from home, just before dark, the water pump let go in a spectacular way, spinning the fan into the radiator.  I thought the motor had blown from all the coolant on the windshield.

I pulled into a farm, but no one was home.  It was before NAPA closed, in the nearest town a few miles away.  I called them, and asked if they had a radiator for a 93 Chevy.  The guy on the phone asked if it had a tranny cooler, or not.  I said wait while I checked.  It did.  Their guy delivered it in their little pickup.   

I had the water pump in by the time he got there with the radiator, and we went on home.

The horse was so tired from the show (Daughter won several classes on him), that he slept in the trailer the whole time while he had to wait on me to fix the truck.  He would have been really tired if he had to carry all three of us home from there.

I believe in a Git Home kit.  While it came in handy to carry a spare water pump then, I came up a little short on radiators.  Having the water pump probably saved close to an hour.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Coming home from Austin one day with two other vehicles, my wife noticed smoke under the hood at a red light. I raised the hood and saw a small flame coming from the alternator. Being in the fire protection business, I knew what a mess using a fire extinguisher would make so, I grabbed a beer from the cooler and put it out. Luckily there was an auto parts place in a nearby town that was open and we were on our way. The only spare part I carry is a Serpentine belt. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Coming home from Austin one day with two other vehicles, my wife noticed smoke under the hood at a red light. I raised the hood and saw a small flame coming from the alternator. Being in the fire protection business, I knew what a mess using a fire extinguisher would make so, I grabbed a beer from the cooler and put it out. Luckily there was an auto parts place in a nearby town that was open and we were on our way. The only spare part I carry is a Serpentine belt. 

And beer.

** WARNING this post may contain lead based paint if you would like to lecture please refrain precautions were taken**

So really wanted to push the limits of the carbide cutters in the planer. I've had this redwood sitting around for a long time and it was always my intention to strip it and use it for stuff. Well finally have a hepa cyclone and a helical cutter in the planer so i figured what the heck. I have a project comming that was going to use some of it.

5102294554075259703.thumb.jpg.94df02b62e1962757eaf393367292c65.jpg

After a couple nails and quite a few loose knots i got it all planed off and only managed to nick 2 cutters. This is only half the stack there is probably 400 BF of old growth redwood here from the 60s.

6212608950803759025.thumb.jpg.f931df4fff54821d02581449dc35a649.jpg

I also only filled my 35 gallon drum about 2/3 of the way up. I promptly took it to the trash to go to the landfilll i'm about 99% sure this is lead based paint.

1834356239005607142.thumb.jpg.87ea4b64b2892c177861a3b7c300bcd5.jpg

I also cleaned out my filter stack again just to get the lead out.... hehe.... :D

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Wow.

With the benefit of hindsight I guess it worked out positively, since you can probably rotate cutters.  I use a metal detector on old wood; but I don't do much with painted wood.  You're ballsier than me for sure.  

I'm curious about your DC; 3 or 5 HP?  (I think you described it in another thread.)

37 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

Wow.

With the benefit of hindsight I guess it worked out positively, since you can probably rotate cutters.  I use a metal detector on old wood; but I don't do much with painted wood.  You're ballsier than me for sure.  

I'm curious about your DC; 3 or 5 HP?  (I think you described it in another thread.)

I knew i was going to have to rotate after the paint so the nails were meh just made the last few boards slower. I thought i had removed all of the nails previously guess i missed 1 or 2.

I have a 3 hp Oneida gorilla pro.