What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

I picked up my new air compressor. I managed to snag a California air tools 10 gallon compressor for about half of retail at a local auction. It turned out to be brand new in the box, unopened. I'm very happy, and it's so much quieter than my old compressor.

1160626120_20181009_1718513.thumb.jpg.24b35d2532942b91f95fa6948eadf9ac.jpg

Very nice deal... Congrats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Oil or oil less compressor ? I'm not familiar with that brand but it looks like a nice one !

The compressor is oil less. Their big selling point is quiet compressors, and I think they're all oil less. For me, it's perfect, since it's quiet, sized about right, has wheels so I can avoid picking it up, and doesn't need oil changes. I'm not going to put a lot of hours on it, so it should work fine. The only downside was price, which is a bit of a premium, but not with the deal I got.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

The compressor is oil less. Their big selling point is quiet compressors, and I think they're all oil less. For me, it's perfect, since it's quiet, sized about right, has wheels so I can avoid picking it up, and doesn't need oil changes. I'm not going to put a lot of hours on it, so it should work fine. The only downside was price, which is a bit of a premium, but not with the deal I got.

Well that and the lowish airflow which doesn't matter for nail guns and small air tools anything substantial like a die grinder or big use air tools that we typically don't use will probably overheat the motor/compressor.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I got intimately familiar with my belt sander and Stanley #4. The oak table I made last winter went to a home where, unbeknownst to me, a dehumidifier runs 24/7. The slab had stabilized to 10-11% before I finished it, about as good as air dried gets here. 

In 6 months, the owner called to ask what I could do about some warpage. I went to look, the unsupported overhang had cupped downward on both sides, nearly 3/5"!  I took a moisture reading from under the table top - the guy's house had dried that 2" thick, 4 x 6 foot slab down to 6%!

20181009_185931.thumb.jpg.4b7f5332af24d8d5915baa8515254a8a.jpg

Thankfully, this is one tough hunk of oak. I ripped the glue lines of each outer plank, re-squared all the edges, and glued it back together. Pretty flat now, but there was enough tension where I sawed it apart that the planks had about 1/32" of "ripple" along their length. So I removed the finish with 36 grit on the belt, and made the glue lines vanish by scrubbing at 45* across the grain with my #4. Lots of salt-water grain raising on this one.

I'll have to say, the Minwax wipe-on poly was pretty tough. The plane just skated over it, and 80 grit just dulled the sheen.

I'm impressed with the fix, but I just can't figure out how anyone's house can get wood down to 6% in hot weather????/

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I had to take a break from the cutting boards to go pick up this fat stack.

*pic removed*

Though it was pouring the whole time so i had to tarp it but it made it back to the garage without getting wet. MC is in a good spot too maybe 1% over my shop.

*pic removed*

CL find?

8 hours ago, Spanky said:

The dehumidifier was the problem here. Most things in my house check with a wagner moistuer meter 9 to 12 percent moisture.

EA9ACAA4-7498-464C-93EC-5A33C0925FBA.jpeg

Doesn't help that the dehumidifier stays right next to the table. He keeps it in the kitchen so if he spills any water while emptying it, it won't hurt the tile floor. The thing holds 70 pints and has to be emptied at least twice a week.