What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

20 minutes ago, RichardA said:

That holds true today, with this added response.   60% of the population shouldn't even be allowed inside a vehicle of any kind except as a passenger in an ambulance.

Yep I'd bet a lot of people think i should be in that 60%

28 minutes ago, Chet said:

Years ago, decades actually Ford tried voiding your transmission warranty if you put a tow which on your manual transmission vehicle.  They we're told by the courts that that was a no no.  At the time their lawyers claim to the courts was that we weren't talented enough to tow with a manual transmission. 

This makes no sense to me. I've always heard MTs handle towing better than autos. I don't have an opinion or know one way or another.

Seeing the pictures of the LST reminded me of our visit to the USS Massachusetts several years ago.  This was the actual ship my wife's uncle Joe had served on.  His battle stations were 20 & 40 mm anti aircraft batteries.  We knew which ones, but those areas were off limits.  We did get to sit at similar stations on the deck level.  Kid's ran about a bit, while I just sat/stood there trying to imagine what it was like and what it took to get through it all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hurricane prep. Restacked all of my lumber up on my assembly table in case there is any flooding. It had been about an inch off the ground, and my cherry and walnut were at the bottom to keep them flat. I also put my in progress desk and (later) some of my tools on top of the wood to keep it off the ground. Since Florence turned south a bit, the outlook here is much better, but we are on the edge of a flood zone, so better safe than sorry. 3CF0FB18-EB81-42DE-BCB3-EE5ACBFB0555.thumb.jpeg.809a8b0605bd02a7e6274ed0816a8930.jpeg

• Sad 1

Missed my woodshop...I have been working on my basement since my last project but days like today really have me longing for the shop.

I was looking for some vapor barrier code requirements out on the CO web site and although I didn't think a building permit would be required it appears I may have been wrong. I call the CO to ask and they say yes $160 oh and you need a septic inspection certification...great that's $300....oh and to do the inspection I need to have the holding tanks pumped wonderful another $200...add in the $200 for the electrical permit I already pulled and i'm pushing $900 fricken dollars...ugh. At least when I spend $900 in the shop I have something to show for it.

47 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Good luck to you and all in it’s path. Material things can be replaced. Be safe everyone. 

I never knew how much I’d embrace that philosophy until my daughter was born.

My wife is considered essential staff at the hospital so she needed to stay in the area for work. I had originally planned on heading out of town with our daughter and dog, to stay with family. But then the path changed and the inland area we were planning on going to actually had a worse forecast. We are only expected to get 2-4” of rain and a ~30-40% chance of tropical storm force winds. 

We are sorry for the folks south of us, where it is and will be far worse. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Missed my woodshop...I have been working on my basement since my last project but days like today really have me longing for the shop.

I was looking for some vapor barrier code requirements out on the CO web site and although I didn't think a building permit would be required it appears I may have been wrong. I call the CO to ask and they say yes $160 oh and you need a septic inspection certification...great that's $300....oh and to do the inspection I need to have the holding tanks pumped wonderful another $200...add in the $200 for the electrical permit I already pulled and i'm pushing $900 fricken dollars...ugh. At least when I spend $900 in the shop I have something to show for it.

Hey i need a paycheck so i can buy some more cherry :D

I don't understand the need for the septic inspection. I suppose to ensure that the system has capacity  for the extra house space ....

Look at it this way adding finished space will more than cover the cost of the permits in house value.

I guess it's ridiculous everywhere now.   I'm planning to build another porch roof off the back/side of our house for the dogs.  We own the land in that direction for almost a mile until you get to a state road.  Even in the other direction, our property also goes to a state road, with no other landowners even in sight.  Before I can get a permit to start on the porch roof, they require a zoning inspection, and I have to go to a county zoning meeting.  All the land is already zoned agricultural.  I haven't even asked how much any of it costs.

They used to send me my building permits in the mail, and I might, or might not, see an inspector.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Hey i need a paycheck so i can buy some more cherry :D

I don't understand the need for the septic inspection. I suppose to ensure that the system has capacity  for the extra house space ....

Look at it this way adding finished space will more than cover the cost of the permits in house value.

LOL oh yeah that makes me feel better...:)

I could buy that accept the house was roughed in for a full bath in the basement when it was built and I am actually just doing a 1/2 bath. I think its just a way to make sure the septic system is ok which I suppose will be good to know.

Agreed but my budget was $30K and with this its at $36K which means that nice pot of money I was saving for a new J/P and mortising machine is in jeopardy :( 

27 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I guess it's ridiculous everywhere now.   I'm planning to build another porch roof off the back/side of our house for the dogs.  We own the land in that direction for almost a mile until you get to a state road.  Even in the other direction, our property also goes to a state road, with no other landowners even in sight.  Before I can get a permit to start on the porch roof, they require a zoning inspection, and I have to go to a county zoning meeting.  All the land is already zoned agricultural.  I haven't even asked how much any of it costs.

They used to send me my building permits in the mail, and I might, or might not, see an inspector.

I hear you we used to live in the wild west when it came to this stuff...I'm with coop primarily a money grab but in the end I am not going to do it without the permit so i'll suck it up and move on :) 

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I hear you we used to live in the wild west when it came to this stuff...I'm with coop primarily a money grab but in the end I am not going to do it without the permit so i'll suck it up and move on

There is a bigger push for this stuff as public safety and resource management becomes more of a focus. A basement remodel is very minor but to be fair to all the minor gets the same look as the major. Septic systems can have pretty large impacts on ground water quality and if problems can be caught  early a more expensive fix can be avoided. The expensive fix is paid for by the tax payers so in the end it's in everyone's best interest but it just sucks.

They aren't making money off of the permit review the small governments usually hire someone to figure out what they need to charge so that the review cost covers the salary of their employee and what ever equipment they need. Most often these fees don't cover everything and general property taxes fill in the rest. It's not to say it's not a money grab in some places but around us i know that for the most part it's not.

For Tom that sucks odds are they want to make sure that you aren't messing with their long term planning? I don't know what the municipalities are like out there what their organization looks like but that seems awfully excessive. You can always say that to them. If they are friendly and you want to know they may explain the whole reasoning.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

There is a bigger push for this stuff as public safety and resource management becomes more of a focus. A basement remodel is very minor but to be fair to all the minor gets the same look as the major. Septic systems can have pretty large impacts on ground water quality and if problems can be caught  early a more expensive fix can be avoided. The expensive fix is paid for by the tax payers so in the end it's in everyone's best interest but it just sucks.

They aren't making money off of the permit review the small governments usually hire someone to figure out what they need to charge so that the review cost covers the salary of their employee and what ever equipment they need. Most often these fees don't cover everything and general property taxes fill in the rest. It's not to say it's not a money grab in some places but around us i know that for the most part it's not.

For Tom that sucks odds are they want to make sure that you aren't messing with their long term planning? I don't know what the municipalities are like out there what their organization looks like but that seems awfully excessive. You can always say that to them. If they are friendly and you want to know they may explain the whole reasoning.

I know but the fact that it is taking away money from new tools still hurts :P