What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

44 minutes ago, Chet said:

Cleaned all of my saw blades and sharpened all of the chisels getting ready for the next project.  I will check the plane irons tomorrow.

I've been doing shop cleaning and orginization. Going to put up a few shelves and what not. it's refreshing to get things cleaned and organized.

Please come to my shop.  

Seriously cleaning the shop is one thing, but harder for me is organization.  Figuring out how the big tools are going to be arranged and where the little things are going to go.  Is this the best location, what if it would be better there, etc.  I keep as much as possible on wheels, but I know given my inertia that wherever a thing ends up it is going to be there a long time.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've been doing shop cleaning and orginization. Going to put up a few shelves and what not. it's refreshing to get things cleaned and organized.

Funny; I cleaned, blew out and organized in the shop today (I did saw a couple small logs that I want to slice up.)  Must be the season.

I've started wiping saw blades after use, hoping to make the saw blade cleaning easier - any opinions?

10 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

any opinions?

I clean mine at the end of a project.  Soak them in simple green for a few minutes, brush them with a tooth brush, rinse them and dry with a towel and they are ready for the next project. 

17 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Is this the best location, what if it would be better there

You need to think along the lines of convenience.  Clamps, glue, blue tape as close to the assembly area as possible.  Sled, saw blades and push stick by the saw.  My plunge and trim routers and router bits are all in drawers in my router table.  Chisels, hand planes, hand saws, rasps, marking and measuring all in drawers by my work bench and at the end of the day every things go back to its place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I clean mine at the end of a project.  Soak them in simple green for a few minutes, brush them with a tooth brush, rinse them and dry with a towel and they are ready for the next project. 

You need to think along the lines of convenience.  Clamps, glue, blue tape as close to the assembly area as possible.  Sled, saw blades and push stick by the saw.  My plunge and trim routers and router bits are all in drawers in my router table.  Chisels, hand planes, hand saws, rasps, marking and measuring all in drawers by my work bench and at the end of the day every things go back to its place.

My dream world! 

• Like 1

Na it's the redwood that i was planing the paint off of. I forgot how awesome this stuff was to work with. It's pretty durable for a softwood and is weightless. Not sure if the new redwood they are harvesting these days quite matches this stuff. Glad i saved it. It's been a lot of work but it might be worth it. Some day i'm going to make a few Adorandik chairs out of this material.

9 hours ago, legenddc said:

Dang Chestnut, you've been cranking stuff out lately. How much time a week are you spending in the shop?

I'm dealing with car issues so nothing fun going on here.

I spend about 2 hours a night and a good 20 hours on the weekend. I don't really watch TV so this is my entertainment. Also i was in hot water for spending so much time building the shed the list of furniture needed to be addressed. Soon it's going to be crunch time for Christmas presents as well.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

I think Chestnut and Bmac are running neck and neck on making stuff. I would like to sell them lumber.:)

I will buy some wood from ya. My problem currently is i just have too much at the moment I probably have 600 BF of cherry between my shed and my shop. But there is a dining room table in the near future that will be 100% cherry.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Spanky said:

I think Chestnut and Bmac are running neck and neck on making stuff. I would like to sell them lumber.:)

It's striper season here in the Northeast and fishing is on my schedule for the next month. Woodworking time will be cut into. What time I do spend out there will be on Christmas gifts.

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I will buy some wood from ya. My problem currently is i just have too much at the moment I probably have 600 BF of cherry between my shed and my shop. But there is a dining room table in the near future that will be 100% cherry.

Ok, lets get one thing straight, you can never have too much lumber, that storage shed should be good to handle more.

• Like 2

I acquired some juniper boards last year from a local sawyer.  They're dry and I want to figure out how to finish them (in particular, how much amber I want, since they're pretty colorful. My intent is to use them for bookshelves.)

First image is a scrap from a rough sawn board; aged a year so the purple has turned to brown.  The background board has been planed and a few coats of "clear" shellac (actually Zinser Sealcoat, which I'm led to believe is a super blonde shellac.)

The second image has a resurfaced (jointed) side of the same scrap, again on top of the board.

I don't know that the photo's really show it, but

1.  The aged surface of the scrap in image 1 is more brown than purple, and

2.  The sapwood and heartwood have both acquired an amber hue from the shellac.

I'm curious what others would do.

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Waterbourne finishes and minimize UV exposure.  The waterbourne will keep the sapwood as white as possible but those purples are sensitive to oxygen and UV.  Sealing every side with multiple coats and keeping it out of the sun & flouresent lights will prolong the  Inevitable color change of the heartwood.

• Thanks 1