What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

As promised, pictures of a crude bowl, machined from a glue-up of SYP scraps, using only a tablesaw. 

Didn't bother to swap the 24T ripping blade, so the surface is a bit rough. The block wasn't flattened on top and bottom, either.

I used an over-arm pin jig, clamped to the saw fence, to hold the block centered where I wanted it. Slow process, but it works.

I think that came out pretty well.

I'm still impressed and intimidated: I'm imagining that you raised the table saw a bit at a time and rotated the blank over the saw blade.  Did you manipulate the block with a tool?  Is the jig very secure?

1 hour ago, Pondhockey said:

I think that came out pretty well.

I'm still impressed and intimidated: I'm imagining that you raised the table saw a bit at a time and rotated the blank over the saw blade.  Did you manipulate the block with a tool?  Is the jig very secure?

You are correct, milling away small amounts at a time. More like a machinist would do with steel.

Here are some more 'finished' pics:

Bowl, with tools and jig.

20181030_181036.thumb.jpg.1f807b65564c40216bbe88f33bc645da.jpg

Proof my wife liked it enough to keep.

20181030_184654.thumb.jpg.6ca580779dfbbc7ded20199d27f19fe3.jpg

And now for a bit of poly.

20181030_185041.thumb.jpg.888b9cd3b38fb037abfb3b91cb6b451f.jpg

The scariest part is the initial rounding of the square block, also none on the TS. The overarm jig works, but a sled would be safer. Since the cuts must travel past mid-way on the saw blade, kickback is possible. Milling the shape from that point on was simple, but slow. I rounded the outside first, spinning the blank, open side up, with various presentations against the straight or tilted blade to get a shape I liked. Then, centering the blank over the arbor, I slowly elevated the blade while spinning the blank. After a shallow cut this way, I advanced the piece into the blade, still spinning, to form a wider indent for the bottom.

Finally, I flipped it over, re-marked center on the bottom, and used the same process to hollow the bowl. To get more depth on this small diameter bowl, I put a 7.25" blade on the saw.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

As promised, pictures of a crude bowl, machined from a glue-up of SYP scraps, using only a tablesaw. 

Top:

20181030_112928_HDR.thumb.jpg.1fd4da96554748bf3a8171bd7004bee6.jpg

Bottom:

20181030_112935.thumb.jpg.6ca4c0f8150a2d931a4b3672f0b7d96d.jpg

Didn't bother to swap the 24T ripping blade, so the surface is a bit rough. The block wasn't flattened on top and bottom, either.

I used an over-arm pin jig, clamped to the saw fence, to hold the block centered where I wanted it. Slow process, but it works.

I must say, I’m more impressed with this than had you turned a bowl into a block of wood :rolleyes: Pretty cool! 

Oh hell, I spoke before seeing the finished product. Now that IS cool! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I can't get blades to cut right.... my resawking has developed a very pronounced drift.

I'm sure you went thru all the usual stuff to try to correct the problem, is it possible the teeth on the blade aren't set right as in misaligned  thats causing the drift or the wheels are not parallel to each other. does it cut with other blades ok?

45 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I'm sure you went thru all the usual stuff to try to correct the problem, is it possible the teeth on the blade aren't set right as in misaligned  thats causing the drift or the wheels are not parallel to each other. does it cut with other blades ok?

I was too tired and frustrated to deal with it last night. Last night i should have listened to the wisdom once said "Don't do woodworking when your tired and frustrated"

I did some reading today and there was a common consensus that the RK blade wanders a lot when it doesn't have a lot of tension. So i turned up the tension on my saw adjusted the guides. I also noticed the tracking was a bit forward on the wheels and corrected that. I also really should take the blade off and clean it but ran a test cut and it looks better. Left is last night right is today.

468074544870688536.jpg