What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Waterbourne finishes and minimize UV exposure.  The waterbourne will keep the sapwood as white as possible but those purples are sensitive to oxygen and UV.  Sealing every side with multiple coats and keeping it out of the sun & flouresent lights will prolong the  Inevitable color change of the heartwood.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.  I am hoping that the color change is an oxidation thing, as werker suggests, and that I can slow it down.  They won't get much UV.  I'll probably also mount the shelvers in a way that I can refinish them later if I'm sufficiently motivated.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

I left Nashville this afternoon with an eight foot piece of curly maple and by the time I got it back to Texas, this is all I had;)

D279A5F8-C71A-4512-B0F4-085D5B81A2F1.thumb.jpeg.810f521905259e35f2a7d7666ea668a1.jpeg

Some metric BS measuring device and a huge router table!  optical tricks, that's all! ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

EGO has a cordless backback blower that runs on the same 56V 7.5 amp battery my mower uses . 145 mph 600cfm and quiet too. It's on my list of stuff to buy. $200 for just the blower but they are real proud of those batteries.

I bought an Ego hand held blower for my wife, and now I use it in preference to my gas powered Stihl.

PS I "bought her" an Ego string trimmer, too that uses the same battery.   Guess who uses it :huh:.  I wonder why she requested those tools?!

Picked up my car this weekend. Thankfully was able to get the transmission replaced for free even though the car is out of warranty. Guess there's a big issue with Nissan CVTs but they're trying to avoid a recall.

Now I need to go clean up the shop and get a few shop projects done.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

As promised, pictures of a crude bowl, machined from a glue-up of SYP scraps, using only a tablesaw. 

Top:

20181030_112928_HDR.thumb.jpg.1fd4da96554748bf3a8171bd7004bee6.jpg

Bottom:

20181030_112935.thumb.jpg.6ca4c0f8150a2d931a4b3672f0b7d96d.jpg

Didn't bother to swap the 24T ripping blade, so the surface is a bit rough. The block wasn't flattened on top and bottom, either.

I used an over-arm pin jig, clamped to the saw fence, to hold the block centered where I wanted it. Slow process, but it works.

It would be cool to seem some video of the technique.