What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

Chestnut, would a bow or crossbow be permitted in the city limits? Wild game is lower in fat and healthier than domestic critters. However, one hunter figured what it cost for a pound of venison and came to the conclusion it was cheaper to buy lobster and filet mignon.

Was at church two weeks ago and saw a big buck come out of the woods at the north edge of the property, cross the back of the property and go into the woods on the east side of the property. My wife came to join me and had the buck run across the road in front of her! Roadkill is free if you follow the rules to claim it!

Short answer no. Long answer some parks are open to bow by application. On property never. Wouldn't want to any way, retrieving a bleeding out deer from my neighbors yard isn't something i really want to do. Nor do i want to dump  a couple quarts of blood on the ground to attract scavengers.

So my direct cost for this 30 lbs not including time was $45 in gas and $38 for the tag and $6 in ammo. Yes i shot 3 times and yes my ammo is stupid expensive. So $3 a lb. Rifle doesn't count cause I'd own it any way. Clothing i use for camping and hiking and would own any way. Orange clothing if included would increase the cost to $4 but i bought it 10 years ago and have used it every year and it'll last another 10 or more so again imp doesn't count. Now I could subtract the gas because i enjoy hiking and defiantly got my $45 in enjoyment hiking the area i hunt is beautiful.

7245652211206591559.thumb.jpg.cf2ea594a5252db16b506b92aca4fc52.jpg

Hunting can get a heck of a lot more expensive. Out of state tags are $200 for some states they can get as high as $300 or a lot more, never looked into it. Paying to hunt on land ect. I agree it's not worth it for what some people pay but they aren't meat hunters and are rack chasers. I couldn't care less about a rack and all i care about is the meat in the freezer. I shoot the deer that most people scoff at some have even told me I'm foolish for shooting them... but the areas are starting to see CWD so the populations need thinning.

If i bought a new rifle every year and included everything i used the meat would cost something like $65 a lb.

9 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Do they issue deer tags separately for bow/rifle/fender ?

Most of time if you want to keep the deer you hit with your car you can call a game warden and ask for it. They'll say sure go for it at least they will around here.

• Like 1

Drew what do you do with the meat?  I don't hunt but had a neighbor that bow hunted every year.  When he got a deer he would make the whole thing into some great summer sausage.  He was a pain in the ass neighbor but I really miss that summer sausage. :(

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Drew what do you do with the meat?  I don't hunt but had a neighbor that bow hunted every year.  When he got a deer he would make the whole thing into some great summer sausage.  He was a pain in the ass neighbor but I really miss that summer sausage. :(

I grew up hunting in Colorado and Wyoming.  I would determine what to do with the meat based on where the deer was taken.  A prairie deer that was sage brush fed was sausage, except for the back strap.  Mountain grass fed more of the meat went to your standard cuts.  I really don't like the flavor of sage brush, some folks do, not me.

Good job with the cat.   All of our cats have just showed up, and stayed.  Years ago, our Daughter called me sobbing from a few miles away, and asked if I could come kill a kitten she had found in the road.  It was very bloody, and she thought it had been hit by a car.  After a closer examination, no bones were broken, and it looked like some animal had gotten a hold of it.   She carried it home, washed it, and kept it separated from all the other animals out in the Tack Room for a couple of weeks.  We didn't think it had a very good chance of making it, but it started gaining weight, and pulled through.  That ended up being maybe the best cat we ever had, and Daughter carried it with her when she grew up, and moved out.

As far as what I did today-not a damn thing.   I spent the whole night last night in the Emergency Room with my Mom.  She fell in her kitchen last night, about 9:30.  The fall didn't hurt her, but she hit her hand on something, and the damage to the 102 year old skin required EMT's, and a trip to the ER.   Long story short, they sent her back home, after gluing the skin back in place, and running every other test to see if there was some problem that caused her to fall, finding none.  We drove back in just as the Sun was rising.

I went to check on my Mother,( has someone staying with her through this), and she was standing in the Dining Room working on a large jigsaw puzzle, in her normal jolly spirits, with her left hand bandaged up.

I'm no good with any amount of lost sleep, and losing a whole uncomfortable night made me good for nothing today, and I might not catch up tomorrow.

Talking about deer, we have two different herds living on our place.   For years, we didn't allow hunting, but we were getting so overrun with them that I let a local guy, that I trust shooting behind me,  start hunting here a couple of years ago.   He brings us backstraps.  So my involvement in deer hunting only requires saying Thank You.

• Like 2

My Dad brought home a baby deer when I was pretty little-maybe 4 years old.  The Mother had been hit by a car.   They leave the babies during the day, and come back to nurse them.  This one was one that had been left.  We raised it in the yard.  He grew to be an adult, with a small rack.  We could feed him out of our hands, and pet him.  I guess when he grew old enough to be interested in girls, he went on, and we never saw him again.

My Father was a big hunter.  We stayed in the woods when I was little, during hunting season.  At about 7, I was given a gun to carry on hunts to learn how to carry one safely.  Of course, it was always empty, but was instructed, and observed carrying it on many hunts.  My Dad raised English Setters, so we did a lot of bird hunting, but also rabbit, Turkey, and squirrel.  The carry gun was a 12 ga. double barrel.  I was told to never shoot it, or "it would knock me down".

When I was 9, I was given my first gun- a .410 single shot.  I'd go rabbit hunting in the woods behind our house, and often bring home rabbits for Supper.   I still have that gun, and use it to dispatch Oppossums that get in the hen house.

When I was 12, I took a Taxidermy correspondence course, ordered from an ad in the back of Boys Life magazine.   I mounted a few birds, and squirrels.  I shot a squirrel, and one shot hit it under the skin on top of his head, which knocked him out of the tree, but didn't kill it.   Thinking that I wanted to kill it, but not tear it up any more, so it could be mounted, I choked it to death.  That ended up bothering me a lot, and I said then that I would never kill anything else that didn't need killing.   I haven't.

• Like 1

Tom, I did something similar. I shot a Cinnamon Teal once that I wanted to get mounted. He wasn’t dead so I held him underwater until my hands got numb. Then I started my truck and stuck his head at the exhaust pipe until my hands thawed and then started to burn. That sucker looked up at me like “ you dumb f*#k”. I took him back to the ranch house and taped his wings to his side and put him in the freezer. An hour later, the ranch owner went to get some ice and the damn duck flew out of the freezer. Boy did I catch holly hell. Almost was not invited back. This is a story I’m not really proud to tell. I was young and dumb back then. The young has since worn off. Kind of reminds me of Howie Mandell’s old “Bobby” skit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still remember the good parts about being young, but can't get rid of the dumb, and foolish.

Thinking about hunting, back when I was hunting when I was little, and I was little when I was little.    I already had hunting clothes when my Parents bought me the youth, break barrel .410.   They always bought a larger size than I needed, so I would have more time using them as I grew into them.

My Dad was in the logging, and pulpwood business.  There was a big shed out behind the house, where they worked on the equipment.  Late one day, I walked up to the shed on my way back to the house coming out of the woods.  There were a few of the Black men workers putting cables together in the shed.

When they saw me, they got the biggest laughs seeing this little boy, in oversized hunting clothes coming out of the woods, carrying a little gun.  One said, "Look, Tom's done been hunting" while all were laughing so hard tears were running.   I started pulling rabbits out of my coat, that had a game pocket all along the bottom, on the inside.

They instantly stopped laughing, and were standing there dumbfounded.  I asked them if they wanted any rabbits, while I pulled three, or four out of my coat.  They all did want one, and there was never any more laughter about me hunting.  In fact, they always asked later, in serious voices, if I had been hunting.

4 hours ago, Bankstick said:

treeslayer, we have a program in Tennessee, Hunters for the Hungry. The hunter takes the deer to a cooperating processor, pays a few bucks (no pun intended) for processing and the venison is given to feed others. A school had venison made into sausage to give to homeless, if my memory serves me.

Sounds like the same plan Iowa has, feed a lot of needy people every year with excess venison