What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

... I really like that it's 44" between wheel wells in our pickups. The perfect amount to leave you hopeful but then crushes your dreams.

I agree and the 5' box that's from under the lip so to carry BB ply you have to have the tailgate down becuase the box is an 1" short ;)

Having said that this is still one of my favorite vehicles I've owned

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I shoveled 4" of snow that had then been rained on... slush is heavy $&@#.

Then i scored 10 sheets of 3/4" cherry MDF ply off craigs list for $25 a sheet. So after shoveling a bunch of heavy snow i moved 1,000 lbs of ply... i'm sleeping well tonight.

And without having to go back, what did you tote this with? 

Got out the snow blower yesterday and I’ll get it out again tomorrow as it’s snowing again. The good news is I made excellent progress on the G&G bed frame I’ve been working on. By golly I may get it done before the year is out. My wife will be amazed.

But it’s extra motivation because I’m going to start on my reloading bench next :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

I’m with ya Chip, I used to grow and process my own, it’s hard to find the good stuff that hasn’t been mixed with turnips or other filler  

I love horseradish but it makes me get up a dozen times to blow my nose, but well worth it! I’ll try the Beaver, regardless of the trips. 

9 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I love horseradish but it makes me get up a dozen times to blow my nose, but well worth it! I’ll try the Beaver, regardless of the trips. 

I used to live in Houston; granted that was 40 years ago, but I bet you can get hot Beaver there nowadays :) I get the hot as it takes less and you still get full flavor. 

• Like 1

We have a few drive thru liquor stores in Atlanta.  But getting "Drive Thru Daiquiris" in New Orleans was a treat.

My grandfather grew horseradish in a clay drain pipe buried vertically in the garden. He said if you grew it in the open ground  it would spread and you couldn't get rid of it. My mom hated peeling and grinding it. He used it in his homemade barbecue sauce. We never found the recipe, all my mom could remember was he got bushels of tomatoes and cooked it in an iron kettle over a fire all day.

11 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I love horseradish! Beaver hot horseradish, from Oregon, is the best :) 

Yes! this brand is awesome. Though the best i had was home made from roots dug from road ditches. The stuff grows wild in south western ND. I have a couple friends that make a weekend out of "hunting" it every year. They make a few gallons and give away pints as gifts for Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

The pictures look great, especially compared to the ones I just tried to take with my phone.  From inside the barn, with barn lights on, the full moon was rising, and reflecting across the glass smooth water on the lake, behind us.  It was way beyond the capabilities of the phone camera.  I just deleted them.   It was memorable though.   Cold air is really clear, which makes the full moon especially bright.

Last night was one of the few lunar eclipses that haven't been clouded out here.

I got to replace a toilet yesterday.  My wife is having hip replacement surgery tomorrow (right hip) and again in 6 weeks (left hip), so she wanted a taller commode.  I got one of the American Standard Champion 4 models, which is ADA compliant and has an elongated bowl.  The anti-bacterial coating and 10 year warranty are nice too.

It was pretty easy, but I felt queasy the whole time.  I guess I wouldn't make a very good plumber.

Now I get to do the toilet in the other bathroom tonight.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tom King said:

The pictures look great, especially compared to the ones I just tried to take with my phone.  From inside the barn, with barn lights on, the full moon was rising, and reflecting across the glass smooth water on the lake, behind us.  It was way beyond the capabilities of the phone camera.  I just deleted them.   It was memorable though.   Cold air is really clear, which makes the full moon especially bright.

Last night was one of the few lunar eclipses that haven't been clouded out here.

I read a good article on a photography site. It basically said the best pictures sometimes are the ones you don't take. At times times you or the equipment isn't up to the task and it's important to recognize that and just enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

Derek, I also wish your Wife the best!   This is one of the things that they are really good at, these days.  My Mother had a knee replaced when she was 92, and a hip replaced when she was 98.  She got along fine with both of them, and is much better off with the bionics now, at 102 (103 in a few months).

I was a bit concerned with her being operated on at 98.   As she was going into surgery, I asked the surgeon what was the oldest hip he had replaced.  He quickly answered, "106, and she went home!  No need to worry about this one."

It's a surprisingly quick procedure too.  I also asked the surgeon how long it would take, and he said, "about 20 minutes".

• Like 1