What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Do you use the edge profile bits like roman ogee and classical ect? If you will put them to use they are yours good sir.

I have many of the typical edge profiles but they are pretty old.  If yours are in good shape and you really don't want them, it's worth lunch.

Sanded 84 shelves on all 6 sides. Top and bottom on the drum sander then all 4 sides on the big osselating edge sander. Each one had to be checked for exact 90 degree corners and re-sanded until they are perfect. Errors here cost me dearly when covering them with laminate. I pay close attention to making each part the exact same size . I compete against the stopwatch on my IPad just to relive boredom. Repetitive and exacting  , boring but profitable !

Still managed to make it over to Woodcraft for the shop stools they had on sale only to find out they sold the last one that morning. Luckily they ordered me a couple at the sale price . Pneumatic adjust from chair height to a 24" h stool, 5 caster base, cushioned seat and a 4" back support plus the option of leveling feet . They even offered me the demo one but the casters were not to be found.  Nice folks, plenty of knowledge but most of the prices are full retail.

• Like 2

I wondered if anyone new anything about  or had a Kreg Foreman.   Im really looking forward to using it for cabinet face frames because it will save me time. I no kreg screws aren't used in the fine furniture but lots of cabinet shops use then as I do and they work fine for this.

Mark, since you are a commercial cabinet shop, I wouldn't worry about what may be said. You have to make your cabinets as quick and sensible and as strong as possible. Kreg is perfect for commercial use.  Sorry, but I've never used that particular machine.  But, Kreg doesn't put out junk.  Don't worry just make it work for you.

• Like 2

I have played with one at a trade show. They work fine as I remember, it was when they first came out.  Kreg joints in faceframes should always be glued. Wiping the end grain with glue to sort of prime it before gluing and assembling compensates for the glue being absorbed & starving the joint. If it's stain grade work I keep the glue about 1/8 - 3/16 in from the face and inside corners to prevent/reduce squeeze out.  Firm clamping during assembly is important or you will be sanding joints for a long time.  Drilling for dowels is so time consuming unless you have a horizontal dual spindle drill. 

On finer casework I use my Domino with a 6mm bit and the wider cut setting. I make my own tenon stock to fit the wider mortice. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have played with one at a trade show. They work fine as I remember, it was when they first came out.  Kreg joints in faceframes should always be glued. Wiping the end grain with glue to sort of prime it before gluing and assembling compensates for the glue being absorbed & starving the joint. If it's stain grade work I keep the glue about 1/8 - 3/16 in from the face and inside corners to prevent/reduce squeeze out.  Firm clamping during assembly is important or you will be sanding joints for a long time.  Drilling for dowels is so time consuming unless you have a horizontal dual spindle drill. 

On finer casework I use my Domino with a 6mm bit and the wider cut setting. I make my own tenon stock to fit the wider mortice. 

I tested Foreman  out today after work today and will be using it tomorrow. Very happy that it will be much faster than my k4.  I was clamping upright but tried flat on the bench and that seems to get the joints more even. I have been using glue but Ill take care of the end grain better now. Thanks Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I shoveled 4" of snow that had then been rained on... slush is heavy $&@#.

Then i scored 10 sheets of 3/4" cherry MDF ply off craigs list for $25 a sheet. So after shoveling a bunch of heavy snow i moved 1,000 lbs of ply... i'm sleeping well tonight.

Wow you had more snow than we did only about 2" here but heavy as $&@# is right lol

Nice score but how did you get it home in this crappy weather?

45 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Wow you had more snow than we did only about 2" here but heavy as $&@# is right lol

Nice score but how did you get it home in this crappy weather?

I guess it might have been only 2-3" i just eyeballed it. It felt like 18" shoveling though. I dind't bother trying to snowblow because experience has taught me this kind of snow is death to snowblowers.

10 Sheets fit under my cover so i just had to tarp the end 18". It ended up getting a few drops on it but nothing serious. I really like that it's 44" between wheel wells in our pickups. The perfect amount to leave you hopeful but then crushes your dreams.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Rain has its own downside. We are about to break the "wettest year" record in my locale. It is preventing harvests on cotton and soybeans, two out of three major crops for the area.

So weed is the third crop ? Or is that one of Kentucky's big crops ?

• Haha 1