What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

36 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Very cool! I've been wanting to make something similar for my daughter and a few of our friends' kids.  Did you just make it on the fly or find the template somewhere?

I tried searching for a template or even a picture but every thing i found was overly complicated,

a62b98b31aa4f6cc07fd0f96ae0b220a.jpg

or overly simple.

f94e1ea90fee418f49b000d3e440f59bd455a862

I'm going to do more of this in the future possibly over the next few weeks so we'll see if i can figure out some proportions better. The wheels i bought are a bit larger than i wanted but they were inexpensive like $0.25 each.

I had run into the same issue. A while back I checked out a book called Making Tiny Toys in Wood that had a couple trucks/cars in it, but they were smaller than I expected, mostly using 1/8"-1/2" stock and a few inches long overall. Then I realized the book was intended for scroll saw work. I scanned the templates and have considered scaling them up, but I think the proportions might not scale well.

Tried to pick up the plywood I ordered today but it wasn’t in yet. Instead I spent some time posting things up for sale on Craigslist and Facebook. Forgot how much I hate dealing with that. 

Had about 10 responses for an angle grinder in an hour but no one spoke English and the one who did wanted it for 50% off what I listed it for. Might be a long week...

9 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Had about 10 responses for an angle grinder in an hour but no one spoke English and the one who did wanted it for 50% off what I listed it for.

I got a jointer taking up space in another part of my shop, because I had it listed of CL, then took it off 24hrs later because of all the jackasses out there.  I hate CL,  

Took a bandsaw box class today, first woodworking class I have ever taken.  Good class, made even better by the shop it was in.  Coolest shop I have ever seen.  Wish I had taken some pictures but I didn't want to offend the owner.

• Like 1

I wish you weren’t all the way across the country from me. I need a jointer. 

The Spanish doesn’t bother me, it’s that it’s so poorly written it doesn’t translate to something remotely understandable. 

I’m hopefully selling a car part today. The guy told me he would give me $600 and I said no, $800, which is what I listed it for. Guess I’ll bring the dog out with me for that one. 

The plywood not being ready is really throwing off my plans. It would be okay but it's supposed to rain all weekend and the place is only open 9-5 during the week. I was hoping I'd be applying finish this week, not next week when I'm off and was hoping to get a couple 8 hour days in the shop.

Broke out the HVLP and sprayed some more of these. I used most of my Minwax Endurovar ripoff. The stuff just does not spray nice but it works awesome for a base coat. Top coated with Varathane waterborne which i actually like to spray a lot. I dialed in the settings on the HVLP a lot better this time and am quite happy with the surface finish.

8039483909006911916.thumb.jpg.496b5c1d8b73a809499d8df95e6d6cbd.jpg

Found out my smoke detector works great in the shop. The over spray set it off half way through the final coat. Scared the crap out of me then i had to scramble to shut the dang thing up. Flipped on my cyclone when i was done and it cleaned the whole shop air in about 5 min.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Awesome dude and there obviously is a lot of work in this project! What is it and how did you space and make the holes? 

I think i outlined it here somewhere before. Just a template that a router bushing drops into and a core box bit.

I think i have 2 hours in per board. Stuff is a lot faster when you batch them out. They eat up scraps really well also.

I have some router bits that are in a block of 2x6 that I drilled 1/4", and 1/2" holes for, that looks kind of like that one on the lower left.  That was back in the '70's, and they stayed in one of the built in drawers in my step van tool truck, that I used for probably close to 20 years.  Over that time, the piece of 2x6  shrunk, and I never have figured out how to get them out.  It's like they're welded in.

Most of them were used before Porter Cable came out with the self-releasing collets, so their shanks are probably screwed up anyway.

Hey Tom just take a chisel to the 2x4 block and split the that sucker along the centerline of each row of holes.

Nice job Chesnut !  I've got a couple drawers like that. I keep the sets and specialty bits in their plastic containers.  I found some big foam sheets that have 1/4" and 1/2" holes that don't grab bits. 

• Like 2

The raised panel bits would take up as much space in a board as they do where they are. same thing with the T&G bits below it.

I had half a mind to send all the architectural bits to the %$#&* it bucket. I abstained and when i get a new bit I'll just send them packing 1 at a time or something.

Yeah i oversized the holes so they bits would go in and out easily. Right now they are a bit loosy goosy but they dont get jostled much.

My valuable bits, like the custom sets for window sash, get stored in a safe box, in the bottom of my router bit toolbox, in either the brass, or black plastic bit holders that Lee Valley sells.  I bought some of each, to see which I prefer, but didn't really like one design better than the other.  Both are good designs.    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,33084,46168,69435&p=46180

I have made some base cap with that architectural bit that looks like it does too many different profiles, but they really look pretty good.

• Like 1