What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

51 minutes ago, DerekMPBS said:

I got to replace a toilet yesterday.  My wife is having hip replacement surgery tomorrow (right hip) and again in 6 weeks (left hip), so she wanted a taller commode.  I got one of the American Standard Champion 4 models, which is ADA compliant and has an elongated bowl.  The anti-bacterial coating and 10 year warranty are nice too.

It was pretty easy, but I felt queasy the whole time.  I guess I wouldn't make a very good plumber.

Now I get to do the toilet in the other bathroom tonight.

Hope everything goes well. It's amazing what is possible. 

2 hours ago, DerekMPBS said:

I got to replace a toilet yesterday.  My wife is having hip replacement surgery tomorrow (right hip) and again in 6 weeks (left hip), so she wanted a taller commode.  I got one of the American Standard Champion 4 models, which is ADA compliant and has an elongated bowl.  The anti-bacterial coating and 10 year warranty are nice too.

It was pretty easy, but I felt queasy the whole time.  I guess I wouldn't make a very good plumber.

Now I get to do the toilet in the other bathroom tonight.

g'd on ya.

DId this for my spouse for a knee replacement last year.  Given what your wife has to go through, this is a moderate, and sympathetic effort. 

Best wishes to her, especially in rehab and hope for a new lease on physical activity!!

• Like 1

in my distraction by the Moon, and its reflection, and haste in the futile effort to go get the good camera, I forgot to drain the hose.  I just remembered it, a little after ten, and went back out.  It was too frozen to get off the hydrant by hand, so I had to go out to the shop to get a propane torch.  If I had forgotten it overnight, we would have lost the hydrant, and been another big repair on the list.   I caught it early enough that the torch on the hydrant riser quickly thawed it out, and was able to get the hose off.  I made sure to warm the riser enough that the hydrant could drain.

The hose might thaw out in another day, or so.  I'll borrow another one from somewhere else here tomorrow.

19 F (not Fahrenheit) degrees right now.

10 hours ago, Tom King said:

in my distraction by the Moon, and its reflection, and haste in the futile effort to go get the good camera, I forgot to drain the hose.  I just remembered it, a little after ten, and went back out.  It was too frozen to get off the hydrant by hand, so I had to go out to the shop to get a propane torch.  If I had forgotten it overnight, we would have lost the hydrant, and been another big repair on the list.   I caught it early enough that the torch on the hydrant riser quickly thawed it out, and was able to get the hose off.  I made sure to warm the riser enough that the hydrant could drain.

The hose might thaw out in another day, or so.  I'll borrow another one from somewhere else here tomorrow.

19 F (not Fahrenheit) degrees right now.

How deep do you have to bury the valve to stop the hydrant from freezing?

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

Depends on how deep the frost line goes. Fortunately never had that problem here in SE TN.

5 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

Beat me to it.  :)

Around here, I believe it's 4', but it depends on your local code.  Or rather, your local code depends on where your frost line typically is.

:P Got some smart guys here....

Water line bury isn't dependent on the frost line that typically govern footings. Around here the frost line is ~42" but water line bury depth is 7.5' I have no idea what code is for water services i think it's 6'.

The ground has never frozen below 6" here.  Bury depth is 12" for hydrants, and footing bottoms.  My drainage systems are more elaborate than typical though, so the water runs right out of the riser.

For the hip replacement, my Mother had to stay in a really nice rehab place for about a week, and then someone came to her house once a day, for several more weeks.  She's never had any trouble from either of the replacement joints, and also said she wished she hadn't put them off so long.

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

It's the line on the glass that the ice sins to when your drinking brandy.

Why dilute good brandy?

When we lived in Louisville, KY, winter of 76/77 was horrible. My wife worked at a daycare and the waterlines froze. Imagine caring for a bunch of babies and toddlers with wipes? The utility came, dug up the line and was about to hook up a welder to thaw the line when they got an emergency call and left! Finally got it thawed and told them to run a pencil size stream in the kitchen to keep the water flowing. Kitchen was closest to the inlet line.