What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, Coyote Jim said:

This retirement subject reminds me of a question I love asking people. It's a difficult question, for most it takes a long time to answer if they can even answer it at all. I usually ask the question like this:

So we have all thought about what we would do if we won the lottery or a rich relative dies and you now have more money than you know what to do with. The question is NOT what would you do once you had your hands on that money, that pretty much gets answered the same way by everyone. (Car we always wanted. House on the beach/mountain/lake. Take care of our parents/siblings/kids. Travel, travel, travel.) The question is, what are you doing with yourself 10 years later? When you have more cars than you can drive. Fancy houses no longer excite you. Your family is taken care of, you want to spend time with them (and you have) but they have a life to live and you don't want to wear out your welcome. The thought of another long flight makes you cringe and remembering the last time you went through customs gets raises your blood pressure. 

You have 16 hours a day to kill, every day, for years and years. What would you be doing with yourself?

Easiest question ever. Strait to bond investments, or a high dividend yield fund, I'd pay out the dividends and keep doing that I'm doing now. I might suggest a pay cut at work and force them to only 40 hours a week. Why change what I'm doing, I'm happy. Reducing the stress of need my job to afford my house ect would make the job a lot more fun.

I wouldn't even make one of those purchases you speak of I'd wait until the returns allowed me to make the purchase before doing that.

Larry and Dave, I am 53, and now I hate you both. :D

Lottery winnings would pay any debts, including immediate family's, set up a trust for my son, then rennovate the house while we were on vacation. I don't need or want a fancy car or house, just reliable ones. 

Somewhere along the way, I'd upgrade my workspace ...

I gotta echo many before me.  If I was tripping over money I would still have only 16 hours in a day to work with.  So first level of answer is I would do more of what I am doing now. 

But a huge sack of money would open the door to other discovery opportunities, there is much I would like to know about and if what I'm doing now gets boring there are other things in line.

Lastly, such a large amount of money needs management.  It has to at least be put somewhere if not actively invested, and unless you're going to will it all to PBS or something you're going to have to distribute it, and all of that management is going to take some of your time and focus, too.  

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

@RichardA you want to come teach me woodworking? At the rate I get to do it you’ll have to live until 140....

Don’t give him your address. He’ll be a fantastic teacher the first 70 years but what are you going to do when he keeps on teaching and you’re too darn old to listen. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

@RichardA you want to come teach me woodworking? At the rate I get to do it you’ll have to live until 140....

Don't take this wrong, but I'm not much good at teaching. I'm better at doing. And I don't want to live to be 140.  Look around at what I'd have to put up with.   No, I'll pass, but thank you.

i just turned 60 at the end of January.  My twin brother was a cop for 30 years and retired just before he turned 55.  I've got 8 more years to reach Social Security full benefits and, after having been laid of twice in the last 14 year (been at this job 8 years), will have to work beyond that unless some windfall comes along.  I don't mind working for someone else but I know my brother hasn't been bored for quite a while.

Byrdie, I officially became 70 on 1/29. It’s a rude awakening knowing that I’m closer to 80 than 60:huh:. I’ve submitted my resignation 4 times to the new boss since selling my company 3 years ago and he refused to accept any of them. What does your brother do to stay occupied? 

• Like 1

Just now, Chet said:

Coop you tell the boss my last day is 14 days from now and on the fifteenth day he will know you meant it... its time to enjoy your retirement.

Chet, I've been on his ass since before he sold out.  He just loves what he does, and he needs to get the hell away from it. It's gonna eat him.

• Like 1

So all of the time is happy hour/coffee time! I need to start hanging with you guys more and my wife will agree. She and I get up about 8:00 on Monday’s and go to the local greasy spoon for breakfast. When I retire I swear, I’m gonna get me some chickens but no rooster. 

30 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

So all of the time is happy hour/coffee time! I need to start hanging with you guys more and my wife will agree. She and I get up about 8:00 on Monday’s and go to the local greasy spoon for breakfast. When I retire I swear, I’m gonna get me some chickens but no rooster. 

Eggs will be crappy. Ya need that black spot for good eggs.

Coop, I have a number of friends that are happily still part time employed in retirement.  Of those who are not, a few of the happiest are heavily engaged in volunteer work.  It seems to be essential to have something(s) to be engaged in, so don't let us talk you out of what keeps you engaged.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 10:00 AM, Mick S said:

Thanks, Ken! We'd love to have you! The workshop is open to the public (Saturday's seminar is $25) but we have to limit it to 25 people, or so. If you're interested I'll add you to the list. I'd offer to put you up, but Darrell and his wife will be staying with us. Here's a preliminary flyer for the event.

668268337_DPflyer.thumb.jpg.9d264534b73f9a077bcfd55fadd085e5.jpg

Mick, I meant to get back to you sooner. I really appreciate the offer but now, seeing the dates, I will be in Atlantic City ( of all places) on the 11-12th for a conference. I and my wife both would much rather be in Santa Fe! Thanks again bud!