What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

4 minutes ago, chashint said:

All Americans should visit the capital if at all possible.  

Reading the Gettysburg Address at the Lincoln Memorial truly imparted a weight and magnitude that I could feel  

All of the war memorials are emotional, but the endless names on the Vietnam Memorial and then seeing all those white crosses at Arlington Cemetery made me tear up.   

I agree. A traveling memorial came to our area last year and to see the names as compared to the actual statistics hit home. Each name represented a life lost. Not only for this war but for those prior and since. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago also has a good space exhibit, again worth the side trip.  They have the Apollo 8 CM and other artifacts (and then there's the U-505).  

Does that happen to be downtown? I'll be downtown and have some free time this Thursday wondering what there is to do. Also it's supposed to be pretty warm over that way this week isn't it?

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Does that happen to be downtown? I'll be downtown and have some free time this Thursday wondering what there is to do. Also it's supposed to be pretty warm over that way this week isn't it?

20's and teens all week.  Next weekend is expected to be broiling in the 30's.

The Science and Industry Museum is an easy cab ride from The Loop, just down Lake Shore Drive (about 57th St).  It has ample underground parking if you choose to drive yourself.  

The Art Institute and Field Museum are great, too.  If you get to the Field the dinosaur and Egypt exhibits are well known.

• Thanks 1

If you live near a Menards check their iscount plywood bin. I grabbed this 1/2" sheet of US hardwood ply for $14.99 discounted from $52. Pictured below is the only defect.0303190919_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.e01173f2454d0bddfadb61178cea3660.jpeg

All of the MDF i buy and some of the pine ply comes from this bin. Most of the time it's near 75% off and there is maybe 10% material loss.  Have to buy it when it's there because it's not the most common. I've only ever snagged the good US hardwood pay a few times.

My son in law and I went to DC a few years ago. His dad had planned on taking him, but died suddenly of a heart attack, so I took him. We were there 4 days and did almost nothing but visit Smithsonian facilities and just scratched the surface. Fantastic trip.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

IIRC, they have the original Wright Bros. Flyer on display, not a replica.

I don't think to much of what they have displayed is replicas,  I know they have some but I think most is the genuine article 

14 hours ago, Tom King said:

A two week visit would be a short one there

This is something that we talk a lot about in our planning, We would like to visit all the Smithsonian museums and it seem like that could eat up most of two weeks on its own and there is so much more to see in the whole DC area.  I could find it pretty easy to use a month up back there.

There's two Smithsonian Air and Space museums now, one is just by Dulles Airport (IAD). They have a control tower you can go up in and see planes take off from Dulles. Pretty awesome museum. My company had it's holiday party there 3 or 4 years ago and it was awesome.

There's so much to see in DC and almost all of the museums are free. Going to the monuments at night is great. No crowds, everything is lit up. Whenever we go to the zoo we try and get there by 7AM so we can see all the animals active and being fed. Brought my daughter to the American History and Natural History museums right before Christmas, was a fun day. Lots of good food close by too.

If anyone needs some local insight let me know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, legenddc said:

If anyone needs some local insight let me know.

Taking a week Vacation to DC over memorial day week. If i remember I'll message you closer to the trip with some questions. We ended up booking a hotel a block off the mall for $150 a night for 4 days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Taking a week Vacation to DC over memorial day week. If i remember I'll message you closer to the trip with some questions. We ended up booking a hotel a block off the mall for $150 a night for 4 days.

Sure just let me know. I'm hoping we'll be around and can go see the last Rolling Thunder in DC. 

46 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Sure just let me know. I'm hoping we'll be around and can go see the last Rolling Thunder in DC. 

Why is it the last??  And why don't you get a bike and join in?   Rolling Thunder should never be stopped, we have war dead for hundreds of years, and the dying for freedom  never stop.

Basically it's ending because of the cost. I have zero desire to get a bike but 3 months without a Jeep has me itching for another one for the nice weather.

https://wtop.com/dc/2018/12/rolling-thunder-comes-to-an-end-2019-will-be-last-ride/slide/1/

Been in Northern VA for 30 years and I've never been to Rolling Thunder. Used to pass all the motorcycles coming up as we were driving town to Tom's neck of the woods.

Just got back from the Philadelphia Flower Show.  My wife does floral design and has always wanted to go.  It's supposed to be the biggest indoor show in the world.  So we went out on Sunday, had dinner at The City Tavern (which was a little less special than I remembered it being), then spent Monday at the flower show.  It was interesting, though not as much for me as for her, but still I I'm glad I went.  Returning today we had a little time to spend and visited this really  cool museum, The Center of Art in Wood.  https://centerforartinwood.org/permanent-collection/  Some really awesome stuff.  A small museum, but well worth looking in on if you're in Philly.  

• Like 1