What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Yes!!! My wife took a photo of the scoreboard at the ALB Isotopes ballpark. 9 PM it was 101 degrees! I believe this was in July.

FWIW, what are you doing there? We visited Lincoln, Fort Stanton, Las Vegas (worst of the western towns but didn't get the hype the others got), Fort Union. Sandia Mountain at ALB was nice with the views but don't go if you have respiratory problems. I have asthma and could feel the altitude at a bit over 2 miles up. Go to  the Mexican Restaurant in the old governor's home. Saturday, people from the pueblos sell jewelry, etc. on the square. Oh yes- visit the Pueblo Cultural Center! Hope I didn't anticipate your trip and overload you. I would love to go back and spend three weeks there- from one end to the border.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 3:19 PM, pkinneb said:

Yeah change of plans LOL Black Hills and Colorado to visit friends will do NM another time in the winter :) 

Paul, I'd love to meet you and the wife anytime you do make it down here. Happy to offer suggestions of what to do and when. 

10 hours ago, Mick S said:

Paul, I'd love to meet you and the wife anytime you do make it down here. Happy to offer suggestions of what to do and when. 

That would be awesome! Ronda was born in Aztec NM and lived there until she was like 5 then moved to MN. We used to go see here grandmother in Aztec but since she passed its been quite some time since we've been back. Ronda has always wanted to explore some of the other parts of the state, maybe next winter.

54 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

That would be awesome! Ronda was born in Aztec NM and lived there until she was like 5 then moved to MN. We used to go see here grandmother in Aztec but since she passed its been quite some time since we've been back. Ronda has always wanted to explore some of the other parts of the state, maybe next winter.

One of my college roommates was from Farmington. His family had a place near Purgatory, so we used it as a base when we went skiing, ballooning, etc. I went through that area on my way back from Moab last week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Called the Subaru dealer to get my passenger airbag replaced under warranty. The lead time for completing the work is for months and i can't take a passenger in the front seat until the work is completed..... this is quite absurd....

Alison got her notice last week. We're on the waiting list, too.

Mick, is right now about the right time of year to visit your area. As a kid, my parents took up to Farmington to visit my dad’s brother and the next year, we went to Billings after the brother relocated. I would love to go back and re-visit and take my wife. I remember four corners, shiprock, Silverton RR and Yellowstone. 

Edit: on second thought, I guess not or it just depends on how far north I want to go as I recall seeing Kev’s recent video and there was still snow outside his window. 

11 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Alison got her notice last week. We're on the waiting list, too.

How long is your wait?

I know it's not likely that something would have happened but the recall was in the mail after i took the vehicle on a road trip. Megan was less than impressed with that as the airbag was on her side.

Maybe 2 years ago my neighbors Acura had the airbag recalled. Somehow the guy managed to get a rental for 3 months while their car sat until it was picked up by a tow truck and repaired. Might be worth asking for a rental, maybe they'll at least bump you up the list.

Did some stuff in the shop last night for almost 2 hours. Was too wired from it and couldn't fall asleep. Might be a long week while I try to finish up these shelves.

45 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Maybe 2 years ago my neighbors Acura had the airbag recalled. Somehow the guy managed to get a rental for 3 months while their car sat until it was picked up by a tow truck and repaired. Might be worth asking for a rental, maybe they'll at least bump you up the list.

Did some stuff in the shop last night for almost 2 hours. Was too wired from it and couldn't fall asleep. Might be a long week while I try to finish up these shelves.

Well i wouldn't feel right doing that as i woudln't even drive the rental. I'm frustrated with the situation but i know there are people that need the loaner/rental vehicle. I have 2 other vehicles at my disposal.

Some of the vehicles had the drivers airbag effected and received a stop driving letter. the 2006 Rangers were in this camp and were notified to two the vehicle not drive it in for replacement.

I might reach out to some rural dealerships to see if they are less busy and could get it replaced sooner.

That would be awesome to see. I haven't looked into the details but it looked they they converted it to diesel? Or is it still running coal? I watched Leno's Garage on a steam traction engine that he had converted to propane just for ease of firing it up and shutting it down.

In my gallery photos there's a pic of me standing next to Milwaukee Road 261 - a big Northern that's based here in Minneapolis.  I first started developing my woodworking skills at a railroad museum I participated in while I was in high school.

To answer Nut's question, 844 has been converted to oil fired, as they are doing with 4014 which should be up and steaming shortly for the Golden Spike 150 ceremony in Ogden, Utah.  Both locomotive are planned to be there and to double head on their return to Cheyenne.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Byrdie said:

In my gallery photos there's a pic of me standing next to Milwaukee Road 261 - a big Northern that's based here in Minneapolis.  I first started developing my woodworking skills at a railroad museum I participated in while I was in high school.

To answer Nut's question, 844 has been converted to oil fired, as they are doing with 4014 which should be up and steaming shortly for the Golden Spike 150 ceremony in Ogden, Utah.  Both locomotive are planned to be there and to double head on their return to Cheyenne.

Thanks for that. They are taking it out this June I'm going to go see if i can't meet it at a few crossings or some other interesting places.

Here's some video on my YouTube channel showing 261 passing through Cambridge in 2014.  

The gallery pic was when a friend and I rode behind it for a round trip double head trip down to La Crosse and back.  I think that was 2007.

Yeah, I kinda like trains too ...

• Like 2