What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

6 hours ago, Chet said:

We also went to our grandson's graduation.  It was actually pretty emotional day.  When he was a sophomore with a 1.4 GPA, his counselor told him and his parents that some kids just don't have what it takes to be good students.  After wanting to strangle the counselor they started the process to move him to a different school and a faculty that cared about the kids.  Today, after a lot of hard work and extra hours making up classes, he graduated with honors and a 4.0 GPA and through it all he still found time to run on the track team and excel there also.   Kathy and I are pretty damn proud of him.

And some people just don’t have what it takes to be good counselors. 

Glad he proved the counselor wrong!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chet said:

We also went to our grandson's graduation.  It was actually pretty emotional day.  When he was a sophomore with a 1.4 GPA, his counselor told him and his parents that some kids just don't have what it takes to be good students.  After wanting to strangle the counselor they started the process to move him to a different school and a faculty that cared about the kids.  Today, after a lot of hard work and extra hours making up classes, he graduated with honors and a 4.0 GPA and through it all he still found time to run on the track team and excel there also.   Kathy and I are pretty damn proud of him.

That's awesome Chet!! Having you and your wife in his corner never giving up most assuredly helped immensely!

Pretty unbelievable that someone in education would ever say that but we went through the same thing with our son. 2.0,  not wanting to go to school, etc moved him from a  school of 1400 to 400 and he graduated with honors. Went on to graduate college with honors its amazing what a change and some awesome people who really wanted to teach can do! Unfortunately there are a lot of people teaching and working in schools that really don't want to be there or get disenchanted with the hole situation. My wife was a teacher for many years and now creates curriculum for the before and after programs. Some of the stories she brings home i'm like I thought you worked in the grade school not the high school :huh:

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 6:49 PM, Chestnut said:

Hit up the Renwick gallery in DC.

Ghost clock was my favorite.

DSC_2630-01.thumb.jpeg.9ae131f7c27ab2018d646c102099a988.jpeg

DSC_2623-01.thumb.jpeg.48f2cfc153aaa17fb0e8d8640ca8d7b7.jpeg

DSC_2627-01.thumb.jpeg.fbf078e43f34b251664c04c695877cc6.jpeg

DSC_2626-01.thumb.jpeg.52ba6985dafd55768a84501868a11683.jpeg

DSC_2624-01.thumb.jpeg.c3d6e0f1dace70b18de8d863c1788ac7.jpeg

I plan to hit the Renwick also when I go in July, thanks for the pics! Now I know what to look forward to. Where all those pieces on the same floor?

40 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I plan to hit the Renwick also when I go in July, thanks for the pics! Now I know what to look forward to. Where all those pieces on the same floor?

Yes the upstairs floor. The lower level is being setup for another exhibit to open June 8th so we missed it. There are other pieces i didn't photograph.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the cleaning is the worst part.  What made this the worst ever was that Pam picked some grout that is supposed to be waterproof, and impervious to staining.  Looked like two bags would be enough.  I had Mike mix both bags, because grouting usually goes pretty fast.

I clean first pass right after floating grout in a couple of rows that I can reach.

I was about half way to the drain in the middle, and the grout started kicking like epoxy does.  It wasn't epoxy grout, but sure acted like it.  I called Pam to help by handing me clean sponges as I floated the grout in the joints, as MIke shuffled buckets with clean water.  We had to pause by the time we got to the drain because more than half of it kicked hard in the bucket.

She went to town, and bought two more bags.  We mixed one, and made it to the last three tiles at the other door, and had to open the fourth bag.

If I ever use that stuff again, it will be inside with an extra air conditioner in a window to cool it down to 60 degrees.

• Like 1

As always, nice work Tom.

Was hoping to buy some plywood and start on a lathe cart and/or outfeed table but instead I'll be replacing the rear brakes on my wife's car. Hopefully I'll be able to fix the windshield washer fluid leak too. Maybe next weekend I'll get to the carts.