What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 6/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, Mick S said:

I'm envious. Who's teaching it? 

Marc taught this class.  There were also three other instructor helpers that were available to ask questions.

Marc kept us very busy.  I don't think that anyone actually finished each of the joints that we were to do.  Seems like every time I turned around there were 2 or three more pieces of wood on my bench to be joined.  This was not a "project" class so I came home with a bunch of samples of joints.  Also had a couple of evening classes - one showing work of instructors that were there that week and one on types of glue.  Marcs work, especially childrens furniture is awe-inspiring.

There were 4 classes last week:  Joinery, carving, turning and blacksmith.

Lots of food and, most importantly a self-serve soft serve ice cream machine ---and, yes, the had cones.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Someone wanted me to make a Connect Four yard game... the site said it was going to be an easy fun DIY project.... BAH!

Please don't anyone tell my 5 year old daughter that this is a thing... She's currently obsessed with Connect Four and I would be making one in short order.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I scored a couple Kennedy tool boxes at auction. I have the 11 drawer box from an auction ~15 years ago.

I put down a bid at reserve price for both and was surprised to see I won! I got the 7 drawer box and a cantilever box, both look to be in very good condition based on the pictures. 

I’ll pick them up on Monday. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 3:50 PM, RichardA said:

I was drilling away. 42 3.5" holes with a hand drill. I felt like i'd been beaten up by my drill at the end.

UHH, Rick, I hate to tell you but that is not a hand drill- it has batteries.  Now if it were a brace and bit (I know that you remember those) you could bitch a little.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:12 PM, pkinneb said:

Saw Mt Rushmore and Custer national park

Great place to visit. Did you happen to find the "Purple Pie Shop" in Custer.  Great pies. Especially the rhubarb.  If not then put it on your list for next time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronn W said:

UHH, Rick, I hate to tell you but that is not a hand drill- it has batteries.  Now if it were a brace and bit (I know that you remember those) you could bitch a little.

Uh Ronn, I think you need to re read what I said on that post.  It went, something like  "holey moley"!  But I do remember braces and bits.!  In fact, I still have a set.

20 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I replaced the floor boards in my 8’ utility trailer today in 96* temp. I’m going to check next time as I bet there are people that make a living doing that kind of stuff. 

At least Houston is a dry heat. :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

We like to think of it as tropical. :) I just saw on the news that our wind chill factor was 109* in the shade. 

Well you could move to Iowa and have a 125 degree difference in the winter :P I could never stand that kind of hear for very long I would have to have AC in the shop

Road trip to Raleigh.  Stopped in West Virginia to investigate "Tamarack: The Best Of West Virginia" basically a big store/gallery featuring west Virginian art work.  Definitely worth the stop and a nice way to break up the trip.  Saw this chain saw that I'm sure y'all will like.

20190707_0959051.thumb.jpg.20c837ba9c604719a525724d45628c31.jpg20190707_1000281.thumb.jpg.d01b48b04cc473de6e20059e6e399d78.jpg1305973557_20190707_09590521.thumb.jpg.4928084e1fbead371182793e73376543.jpg

• Like 2

Finished the hutch for my reloading bench and now it’s on to a sofa table. Wife is worried our small dog will get on the back of the sofa and fall off, so we need a table to catch her. Hope it works. :) Actually I hope it’s never tested. I’m thinking sapele and maple, with some Federal highlights. 

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Road trip to Raleigh.  Stopped in West Virginia to investigate "Tamarack: The Best Of West Virginia" basically a big store/gallery featuring west Virginian art work.  Definitely worth the stop and a nice way to break up the trip.  Saw this chain saw that I'm sure y'all will like.

20190707_0959051.thumb.jpg.20c837ba9c604719a525724d45628c31.jpg20190707_1000281.thumb.jpg.d01b48b04cc473de6e20059e6e399d78.jpg1305973557_20190707_09590521.thumb.jpg.4928084e1fbead371182793e73376543.jpg

Ok that guys is more an artist than what I think of as a woodworker! 

I like model airplanes and building furniture but would take the rest of my life to make a wooden chainsaw!