What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, Tpt life said:

Hey Mick, after a few years of 40 to 25, we mixed it up this year. White Sands, Alamogordo, and up 54 was the most beautiful drive through NM I have seen that is not around Santa Fe. One of these years I will try to connect and buy you coffee. 

That's a pretty drive. Alison and her siblings have a cabin in Ruidoso, so we frequently do that drive. We also take it when we go down to The Gage Hotel in Marathon, TX. Beats the *&#* out of taking 285 through Carlsbad south. The oil field traffic on that road puts your life in jeopardy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark J said:

Geez!  I thought that was a Saharan sandstorm.

So how do you clean yours?  do you blow compressed air from the outside in, or down the center.

Oneida and GE the supplier and manufacturer for the filters claim that noting over 40 PSI should be directed at the filter material. I took my leaf blower and blew are down the inside while rolling the filter on my lawn and firmly tapping on the top. I make sure to not point the air directly at the filter and instead blow down the pleats on the inside. It was pretty bad this time. I imagine that it's because it's the first full year with my drum sander.

Because it was so humid the dust settled out before it left my property ... mostly so i doubt anyone around me even noticed. That and there were a ton of people burning fresh twigs and leaves from storm damaged trees from a strong storm on Monday.

• Like 1

Taking my filter off isn't that hard, but lifting it up while guiding it back into place is super difficult for one person.  But I had an idea I'm going to try.  There are these air shim thingies:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Calculated-Industries-Contractor-Grade-AirShim-Inflatable-Pry-Bar-and-Leveling-Tool-that-Holds-Up-To-300-lbs-1190/206697086

I'm hoping I can use one to do the lifting while I do the guiding.  Possibly stepping on the inflation bulb while I guide the filter back on.  We'll see if it works.  Any better solutions?

I'm not sure how your filter is attached to your DC. Mine is really easy. It attaches with j bolts that have a nut on one end. I leave the nut on and hook the filter on one j hook and then get lift it up a bit more to get another. then i tighten everything down. I take my filter off every time i have to empty the dust bin as it's in the way so I've gotten good at it.

13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

For the northern hemisphere folk the weather should be nice, so a reminder to consider cleaning your DC filter. Mine had a good amount of dust in it from the last year.

0716191747_HDR.thumb.jpg.bd1a7c9b4a443b0a480618f8111985de.jpg

The weather will be nice for only those up wind from you! :D

Nut, what kind of grass do you guys have up there? 

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

The weather will be nice for only those up wind from you! :D

Nut, what kind of grass do you guys have up there? 

Kentucky Blue, Perennial Rye, and fine fescue. Kentucky Blue and Perennial rye are the main full sun grasses. Fine fescue and creeping fescues do better in the shade. So my lawn different depending on how much shade it gets.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Kentucky Blue, Perennial Rye, and fine fescue. Kentucky Blue and Perennial rye are the main full sun grasses. Fine fescue and creeping fescues do better in the shade. So my lawn different depending on how much shade it gets.

When we first moved here, and were getting our yards, and pastures going, we wanted to plant Bermuda because pregnant brood mares shouldn't eat Fescue.  Our young, county extension agent told us to plant Perennial Rye, which we did.   That Rye grew great over the first Winter, but didn't come back the next.  I called the same extension agent, and he told me, "Oh, you have to let it go to seed to be perennial".

We're below the growing zone for Perennial Rye, and since then, we overseed with Annual Rye every Fall.