What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 7/18/2019 at 11:22 AM, Chestnut said:

Dang that's a large basement......  wish my basement was bigger. That would mean my shop was bigger too.

There is a giant open living room type area (pool table, air hockey, etc), bedroom, full bathroom, storage area, and a media room. The media room is basically a listening room, with my guitars/basses and other instruments and stuff.

• Like 2

I did a lot more than I ever intended to do on a Sunday.  I was out early, cutting grass, and Pam came running out to tell me that a tornado had hit the house that I built 28 years ago, with the copper roof, knocking down the front porch roof.  I quickly rode over there, expecting to see the ridge sagging, and the huge cathedral ceiling in the house separating, and other major structural damage, because the support of the cathedral ceiling depends on the roof plane of the front porch to counter the spreading load in that direction.

When I drove up, the ridge was fine.  Walking through the house, no damage anywhere, and no separation of anything.  Only the bottom of one railing assembly is twisted enough to break, but all the parts are there, and I think I can glue that together.   Everything else will go right back in place, with probably no noticeable evidence of the event.

The porch goes all the way around the house.  The handrails are mortised into the 8x8 solid porch posts, with no fasteners needed because of the way we assembled it.  There was about a 6 inch sag in the roof where several porch posts had been blown inward, and now laying on the porch floor.  Two main support beams, that were sitting on three of the posts were in front of the two story porch.  Nails had pulled out  of the Simpson Hurricane ties, required by code, that were nailed into the 4x8 WRC porch rafters.

Nothing was beyond repair.  The house next door took a direct hit, and has trees all over it.  My house just caught the edge of it.  It picked up the roof, and shook it.   The standing seam copper roof never knew the difference.

My temporary post design leaves us enough room to reassemble the posts, and handrails in front of them.  It will have to sit on these until we get that old chimney stabilized.

I'm in the middle of the 18th Century chimney saving job, that can't wait, so we jacked the porch roof back up to correct plane, and stuck some 2x6 T-posts together to hold it up until be can reassemble the posts, beams, and railings.

When we finished today, it was 3 o'clock, and 97 degrees.  On a regular working day in this heat, we would have stopped a couple of hours earlier.

The 20 ton jacks told me that the roof was VERY heavy, but the lack of damage told me that it was Very Strong.  The owner, and I have already designed a tie-together system that won't depend on Simpson ties, but be part of the overall design.

Quite a Sunday to remember.

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mark J said:

Be careful with moist wood.  I have heard stories of SawStop triggers because of wet wood.

Yep I've read that too. I had the saw in bypass mode which I typically do if i'm not positive there will be no issues and definitely anytime I run 2x material through it which is rare. Unfortunately the 2x2's you can by at HD are at best kindling :) 

14 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Had to clean the clogged 4” dust port on my Sawstop.

I have had this happen when a sliver of off cut went down the chute and ended up getting caught crosswise at the port and then the flex hose inside of the saw would clog up slowly over time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnG said:

Slowly but steadily making progress on my ukulele. Glued the last large piece of binding today, just have a small piece left. 

Progress without pics don’t hold water here, you should know that by now! :D