What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

My shop flooded today. Got about 1” deep at the garage door and made it half way to the back wall. I moved all of my sheet goods (they were 3/4” off the ground, but just on OSB), and set up a dam across the garage with my osb stickers. 

Once the storm passed I ran to HD and got a dehumidifier. Once I got that going I started shoveling up the big pile of wet lathe shavings by the door and slathered wax on the cast iron surfaces. I think everything important will survive, just not what I had planned for the day.

bad pictures, I cut the power to the garage because I had extension cords laying on the floor.

5B11E1F8-B73C-42F2-9F25-BDEBFB66BE9C.thumb.jpeg.be077c54ebe7f9cb08e4b45354cd6734.jpeg9D4CBD82-9567-47CF-83BC-E96AA31B5EF0.thumb.jpeg.af8ca99f90640c74ff720b9e9fa146c0.jpegC6C5BF2A-5051-4436-9A79-EE385D35BDA8.thumb.jpeg.f5c40e7a0c8b6bde8d5ac59ad372523b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

John, so sorry to hear that. Being close to the Gulf and not too many inches above sea level, I’ve experienced the same several times, probably once every three years.usually I have some sort of notice and the first thing I do is sweep up and pick up. Makes a world of difference once the water goes down. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your water problem. I can commiserate! It doesn't rain much here on the high desert, but when it does, it can come down. My shop is on a downhill slope off the driveway. After studying the flow, I finally installed a French drain in the area causing the problem and am hoping the issue is resolved. I vacuumed up 155 gallons of water a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

We have been in this house for 2 years and I haven’t had any water come into the garage. Even when they’ve evacuated zones for hurricanes, it hasn’t come within a foot of the garage door (luckily the garage is a bit higher than the driveway). I do occasionally have a bit of water seep in around the man door, but never more than maybe a cup.

We’ve had a few big thunderstorms in the past couple weeks and I didn’t think this “severe thunderstorm warning” would be any different. But then it was :lol: Even had some hail come down. Luckily the storm passed and the water receded quickly. 

We will just be here for one more year, so I don’t want to invest in any serious water prevention.

D9F39727-4A94-4887-8B06-671FE36CFFAC.thumb.jpeg.d285a5bc232a5c410f2bc17a3f948529.jpeg85694C27-8082-41A9-9045-BBA285F00C90.thumb.jpeg.b2e9e3e55561169a46fc29f6044db5af.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

These severe thunderstorm warnings seem to come more and more often up by DC. Had a flash flood warning here a few weeks ago here. I've never seen it so bad not during a hurricane.

Glad you were able to clean it up and no real damages. Lucky you were home and able to get to it so quickly.

The 70 pint per day humidifier I picked up made quick work of returning the humidity to normal levels in the shop. With an infant and toddler at home, it will take some time for me to get everything back in place and check my lumber, but I think everything will be fine. 

Keep it running as it will take some time to draw the moisture out of all the materials that soaked up some water.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

These severe thunderstorm warnings seem to come more and more often up by DC. Had a flash flood warning here a few weeks ago here. I've never seen it so bad not during a hurricane.

Glad you were able to clean it up and no real damages. Lucky you were home and able to get to it so quickly.

It seems like it's been wet everywhere lately. I know this area has been in a wet cycle for the last 10 years here, like 10" of rain over average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Keep it running as it will take some time to draw the moisture out of all the materials that soaked up some water.

Good tip. I’ll leave the fans and dehumidifier running for a few days. I’ll set the lower limit just to be sure it doesn’t swing too far to the dry side. 

13 hours ago, Chet said:

Can't go wrong having those around.  I have a couple that I have taken off and put on more jigs then I can recall, including for my most resent project.

Thanks! Yeah I figured out what some of them were for. It is a Bob Van Dyke rip fence I found in FWW. The article was on my nightstand :) 

12 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Installed a fire extinguisher in the shop - on the umbrella/raincoat theory that it won't be needed ;-)

IMG_0734.JPG

Check the gauge if you will to see that the arrow is in the green. Almost always that is to the top of the gauge as your arrow looks to be to the right side.