What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Just listened to the long version of “ In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”. Seems like just yesterday. 

I had the LP when I was in just out of high school. Unfortunately when I took a trip out of state to visit family for a few days my sister got into all my records and scratched them all thoroughly by leaving them out of their sleeves and shuffling through them like a deck of cards. Boy was I ever pissed at her.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Just listened to the long version of “ In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”. Seems like just yesterday. 

I’ve got a CD of that album and also have the vinyl LP, vinyl is much better, now I just have to build an entertainment center to hold my sound equipment including my Pioneer turntable from 1974 that still works perfect 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Last night (close enough to today) I unloaded a stack of birch.

0928191724.thumb.jpg.f804d0f25dd097513efa8e4ab224f83c.jpg

Over the weekend i was in Northern MN and got connected with a guy that unfortunately needed to get out of milling. He was selling his LT40 woodmizer and all the lumber he had laying around. I grabbed this birch, and am embarrassed the priced I paid. I should have paid more. He wanted $3 per board. I made sure multiple times that I understood him. All in all i got 250 BF for $150.

Because it was dried outside i spent all afternoon treating it for bugs and getting it stacked. I need to sticker it If i get some time later this fall. Though it was below 20% so mold shouldn't be a problem, it does need some more drying to get to EMC for my shop.

Excellent score.

Looks great.

Megan asked me to hang a picture frame on an existing nail. I flipped it over and there were TWO! saw tooth hangers one at each side! Who does that?! So i fixed it and put one in the center. I'd never be able to get 2 nails in a wall and get this thing level. Made worse by the fact that their hangers weren't level to begin with!

0930191912.thumb.jpg.e455fae37ebe9cfb56b07760538f4970.jpg

• Like 2

For a long time I've been annoyed at the tool-less guide setup on my laguna. Some of the knobs were in tight places and i could never get them tight enough by hand. I started using a pliers to get them tight but it chewed up the knobs. So i grabbed a machine screw and cut it up. I used doubled up  nuts to get the bottom 2 knobs replaced. I used the head of the screw for another stop.

1004192102.thumb.jpg.3cee3ca089b8f7183dfa1e0202211c20.jpg

I purchased a right angle ratcheting screw thingy for $5 and a ratcheting box end that fits the nuts for $9. It only took amazon 3 tries to send me the right tool but in the end they got it right.

1004192104.thumb.jpg.2473ee2a562194e6043254bfd3c87b6d.jpg

Now i can change blades in a fraction the time. All the blades i use have the same band thickness according to my digital calipers so i never have to adjust the side blade guides. When i get annoyed with them they will probably get the same treatment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

The easy way around that is the same approach to routers.  Having a different bandsaw for each blade width you use is just as convenient as having a dedicated router for each bit.

Oh I'd love to have another bandsaw. I was changing from 1 ripping blade to another. I've working with some large kinda nasty material and i don't want to damage a $150 resawing blade. I really want to get a larger saw but my shop location is quite limiting on that front.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Oh I'd love to have another bandsaw. I was changing from 1 ripping blade to another. I've working with some large kinda nasty material and i don't want to damage a $150 resawing blade. I really want to get a larger saw but my shop location is quite limiting on that front.

I dream of just having a band saw.... I'm sure I could rig up a system to pull it up to the ceiling for storage, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1