What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

What do you guys from Minnesota know about carne asada? Apparently a bunch! Dang! Seriously though, what cut of meat do you buy that as? 

Not the proper one but that's just because we used all our skirt steak already. Megan and i bought 1/2 a steer about a year ago and i can't buy beef again until it's gone. This was rib steak.

1 hour ago, jimbofoxman said:

Ah yes............ASHES!

Only after they cooked delicious food on the grill may they be disposed of as ashes.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, Tom King said:

I might be getting a fourth one, if I can work out getting it picked up.  I already have one of these, that I keep a 3/16" blade on, but have wanted one with a Carter stabilizer, and tiny blade.  This is the same model as one of the 10" Rikons, without all the fancy accessories of the top end 10".

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/tls/d/winterville-10-inch-bandsaw/6993785659.html

I thought someone had beaten me to that 10" bandsaw.  It was taken off CL, and I didn't do anything else about it.  This morning, it was back up.  It was too far to go get, and I didn't have anyone going that way, but I emailed the seller anyway, and told him I wanted it.  I do have to go about an hour in that direction, to Rocky Mount, but it was a good hour past there to where the saw was, and that was more time than I wanted to put into it.

The seller answered, saying that he works in Rocky Mount, and can carry the saw the day I need to go.  So, I may be a four bandsaw owner after all.  We'll see.

I think I may be able to cope window muntins with it.

• Like 1

I added a new toolbox, just this week, for tiny, cordless routers.  It holds all the Stewmac stuff, and has room for a couple of motors.  I had bought a cordless Dremel, and was not satisfied with how smooth it ran, so I ordered a Milwaukee that uses the same screw off cap, so it fits the Stewmac bases just like the Dremels do.  I already had the 12v battery for the small handheld bandsaw, so didn't need anything but the bare tool.

The Milwaukee was only marginally smoother than the Dremel, but I hadn't taken the Dremel back yet.  I decided to let the Dremel just run for a while, to see if it got hot.  It never did get very hot, but did smooth out to the point that it's pretty good. Maybe the bearings just needed to run in some.  I'm going to try the same thing with the Milwaukee, to see if it smooths out, before I send it back.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jimbofoxman said:

6 routers here and yet I'm thinking I need to get a new one for hand held stuff that has better dust collection.

Tell me when you find a router with good dust collection. To me they are just plain messy and noisy. 

I have 4 routers and I hate each one equally.

Now that I have a router table I am looking to get a palm router. My dad has one that I would borrow but the base broke. I'm hoping it's interchangeable with a better Dewalt palm router so I can buy a plunge/fixed base kit and we can each have 2 routers again.

I currently have 2 bandsaws until I give the smaller one to my cousin.

I got that exact set from my dad when I started drafting classes in high school in 1969.  It was used but in great shape when I got it so I have no idea how old it is.  Its still in great shape and gets used in the shop quite often.

Just in case you need it, Turquoise eagle drawing lead fits the compass.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Turquoise-Eagle-Drawing-2375/dp/B00DENOEMU

5 hours ago, legenddc said:

I doubt it's what my grandfather used at the Naval Academy back in the 40s or 50s

It probably is, or very similar.  The sets I have inherited from my Mom, Dad and FIL are all similar, and there schooling was in the 40's & 50's.