What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

58 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

My folks are moving off their 'farm' to a smaller house, in a neighborhood more convenient to me and to my sister. Moving the last of their things out of the old house, I noticed this decorative 'well house' I built for them, almost 30 years ago.

20191018_171943-01.thumb.jpeg.2c3af17eefcdc75398f0ad20efb5f1ea.jpeg

I made the windlass from a red oak branch, using an axe, a hand saw, a chisel and a drill. Square pegs and wedges held the handle to the 'drum'. One of the prospective buyers tried to turn it and the handle finally gave up. Shingle should have been replaced 15 years ago. Even though they built this house after I left the nest, I still have a lot of memories to leave behind.

That's a cool relic!

The shingles on the back of our house looked like that before Hurricane Isabel came through, and took them off. I had replaced the front roof several years before that.

The back can't be seen from anwhere but in the woods behind our house.  I think I replaced the synthetic roofing paper back there three times, over the next several years,  until the next hurricane was headed towards us, and I was up there a few hours before it hit finishing up the standing seam metal roof.

• Like 2

Haven't been getting much shop time lately. Today i solved a frustration of mine.

1022191857.thumb.jpg.a21f4726046ea843b02e3fbe86da7711.jpg

I hated that the top of the vac always collected hand plane shavings. I also never liked that there wasn't a flat place to set down the domino or sander. I had an AH HA moment and cut a piece of plywood to fit. Now it's a perfect dust extractor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Today is the last day for this class at the Marc Adams school.  It's been a great experience, but the week started last Friday at the Ohio Valley Woodturning Symposium, so I'm on day eight of a continuous diet of wood chips.  

I'm kind of "full" actually and looking forward to getting home .  The idea of mowing the lawn suddenly seems strangely appealing.

Mark I missed it which class did you take?

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Mark I missed it which class did you take?

Square to Round Bowls, Vases & Hollow Forms with Rudy Lopez.  It was great.  I'll try to post a picture of the class projects later, but right now I'm beat.  It's just good to be home.

• Like 1