What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I always just used West Systems epoxy, and colloidal silica to thicken it as needed.  Sometimes Git Rot to penetrate the punky stuff to start with.  I'm sure that Minwax stuff will be okay too, but I've used the West since the 1980's, so am used to it.

For sills close to the ground, I've taken out the wooden sill, and cast concrete in place.  Once the concrete has cured, that is coated with epoxy, and then paint adheres to the epoxy.  Those have held up great.

When you paint the windows, be sure to let the paint completely lap across the glazing, to bond to the glass, and try to cut it in so you don't have to trim the edge of the paint.  Those trimmed edges don't have the longevity of undisturbed paint.  Clean the glass with denatured alcohol before painting, so there will be a good bond.

I've never had a failure when done like this since Duration was the top of the line SW paint, and none since using Emerald either, but Emerald hasn't been on the market long enough for that to be a good test.  I'm sure it will be fine though.

Finished the lathe cart enough to get the lathe on it. I haven’t fine tuned the drawers or bought handles for it, but it’s functional. Will eventually mount the lathe and will add some handles to the grinder base so I can move it as needed. First time making a case, drawers and installing a door with euro hardware. Made some mistakes, but it’s shop furniture. 

Also cleaned out the shop a lot on Sunday, hopefully I can finish cleaning it this week and get rid of a few early woodworking projects. Then time to plan out how it should function and get moving. 

Indoor Christmas decorations are already up too so I might get some free time this weekend. 

5E806A5E-87F0-4FDB-9A67-A961092DB5E0.jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mark J said:

So what happens when you don't want it anymore?

Sell it, or give it away, or just let trees grow up around it. I can't imagine not wanting more storage space though.  I'm sure we could put a hundred of them here, and rent them for a hundred bucks a month.  It's not in view from anywhere, unless you go back there, which there is no reason for anyone but us to. It can be seen by anyone riding in the Dressage arena, and horses in the pasture, but they won't care a bit.

It's not really in the way of anything.  We may get another one, or two of them, and build a roof over them, with open sheds in between.  They're cheap, secure storage-a lot cheaper than building another building.  It'll do for now, for what we need it for.

I intend to paint it white, plant some cedar trees to block a lot of the Sun, and put a dehumidifier in it.  No furniture will get stored in it.

I see that same deal is all over the place.  Someone is bringing one of those to play with this weekend.  Thanksgiving weekend is always a get together of people bringing their new guns to try at our "range".  We have a pistol range at our rock quarry, which is about a half mile from the house.  There is a 22' high cliff, with a hundred acres of woods behind it for a backstop.

My contribution is a Kimel .22 that I found digging around in my Mother's house that we are cleaning out.  It's a cheap revolver made in North Carolina from German made parts.  It's bit of a pain, as the cylinder doesn't tilt out to load, or unload.  It had never been shot before, and was still in the original box.  Everything is really tight about it though.

At first, I thought the trigger was too heavy for my liking.  It has two cylinders with it.  The one in it is for LR, and shorts.   There is another cylinder for .22 Mag. 

I first tried it with LR.  Turns out, the heavy trigger is a great balance for the muzzle flip, and it's the best shooting thing I remember, straight away, for instinctive shooting from the hip.  I tried some .22 shorts, but couldn't hit anything with them, always shooting low.  I didn't even bother to try the Magnum cylinder.

Not my style is the nickel plating, and cheap "pearl" handle.  I bought some CoCobolo grips for it, and will send it away this week to get it Cerakoted, probably in a brown color.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:16 PM, Tom King said:

It can be seen by anyone riding in the Dressage arena, and horses in the pasture,

I grew up around horses, my mom did dressage training under Dr. Charles Williamson, who wrote Breaking and Training thé Stock Horse (clearly he knew more than that topic but it’s a classic). We did hunt/jump competition and western/English pleasure competition too. I’ve carried more cavalettis around than most folks, I reckon. Do you guys train them too?

29 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I grew up around horses, my mom did dressage training under Dr. Charles Williamson, who wrote Breaking and Training thé Stock Horse (clearly he knew more than that topic but it’s a classic). We did hunt/jump competition and western/English pleasure competition too. I’ve carried more cavalettis around than most folks, I reckon. Do you guys train them too?

We used to.  We bred horses here too, but after the economy crashed in 2008, you couldn't give them away.  We raised Sporthorses, that did the Olympic events.  Our farm was an Eventing farm, and Pam ran a United States Pony Club, and 4H Horse Club here.  Our Daughter did most of the competing, and has bushels full of ribbons.  She won her first 4H State Championship when she was 8.  She's been grown, and gone for 15 years now.  We did some Fox Hunting too.   Most of the cross country jumps have rotted away, and been disposed of.  The cross country track is mostly used by dirt bikes now.

These days, we mostly just feed, and pet the last two horses we have.  They were both born here.  Some of our friends still come, and ride, and Pam rides once in a while.  Our Jumping Ring is now a grassy field next to our horse, and I've taken all the fencing down that was around it.  About the only things used for riding here now, are the Dressage arena, and a few miles of trails through the woods.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

The Shield is a good ccw gun for sure. I’d do that deal too if I needed yet another gun lol

Unfortunately  I really didn’t need another gun either but I figured $150 for a decent semi was a good deal and my wife has been asking what I wanted for Christmas. This way, maybe it will insure that she doesn’t buy me another pair of pajama pants with a draw string! B)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Dave, great pics! The best Christmas decorations, IMO, are the ones collected over the years that all have meaning and it looks like you are there! 

Absolutely correct Coop, there are a bunch of glass ornaments on there that are at least 67 years old, a particular blue one was bought when I was born, they don’t make them like that anymore. 

• Like 2