What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Looks great John, what’s the plan for the corners? Full half lap, mitered half lap? I like to do frames in batches, great gifts and nice to have around. 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

I bet, since he’s using splines, just mitered. 

If you don’t have a mitering jig like Kev’s, do yourself a favor and make you one. Pinpoint accuracy! 

Yep, just planning on plain miters with a single full kerf width spline at each joint. I used my Incra 1000HD miter gauge for my last batch of frames and the miters came out perfect without having to make any micro adjustments. I’ll use a few offcuts to do a test first, but I imagine it will still be spot on. Will check out his jig too, though. 

• Like 1

I was able to use scraps and odd size cutoffs to make all of these. That’s mainly what prompted the batch. 

If I get them done in time I’ll give some as Christmas presents and the rest I’ll keep around for future gifts or sell to acquaintances. 

• Like 1

I’m not going to do any profile on these, keeping it simple. For frames I keep or that I give to family with a photo in it, I have a point driver that I use. If I give it away/sell without a photo, I put those little turn buttons on the back. 
8AA6F6AF-BDC0-4671-B0E1-0C288E6B9373.jpeg.59556873f113af1ef5b9df22712b0d60.jpeg

I don’t particularly like my spline jig, it’s crude and is a pain to set up and use. 

Mine doesn’t use the miter slot, so I have to clamp it onto my crosscut jig, which I also don’t like anymore, and I end up with a bunch of blocks and clamps to hold everything in place. 

I want to make a wide one that uses the miter slot, and maybe recess a piece of T track to use a stop to register the piece. Something like the jig Cremona made for the tea box project with some modifications. 

I have the logan point driver and it seems to work well, but I haven’t used any others. 

17 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Explain your L fence please.

Ken, if you have access to Fine Woodworking's online content there is a video that Bob Van Dyke does explaining all the ways you can use an "L" fence.  Look under videos and go down to Woodworking jigs.  there is about 10 pages of videos under that section but it is in there somewhere.