What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Awesome Ross I like the look of that!

12 hours ago, Tom King said:

I don't know why anyone would put on an asphalt shingle roof now.

It's cheaper and let the next guy deal with it. <----- this is literally the only reason and it's a terrible one.

Well up here there is some danger of snow building up on the roof and when you shut the door it causes an avalanche burring the person that just left the building.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

this winter i'm going to build a P38 Lightning with my grandson, one of my favorite aircraft, well done on the C-47, looks great!

It was a great airplane for sure. I made one a few years ago and gave it to a pilot friend who had two other P-38 models. I have a ton of models :) If I had a grandson that would be awesome to build one with him. 

• Like 1

@treeslayer I started on a FW-200 Condor model. It's one of the 1930s designs of a 4-engine, long range airplane that was originally an airliner type, although it only traveled about 150 MPH. I could cross the Atlantic though. I'm not familiar with the plane but thought it was very cool looking. So far I have all the innards done, the wings, tail and fuselage assembled, and the incredibly complex landing gear assembled, along with several subassemblies which are waiting for mr to airbrush the airframe. It's a Revell kit made in Germany, which are better than kits made "elsewhere."

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I like the Revell kits @Chip Sawdust, I only build models in the winter, set up a table in the basement and relax for a few hours. what do you use for glue ? I’ve been using the instant stuff from Hobby Lobby but always looking for advice, post some pictures of the build as you go along if you don’t mind. 

It’s kind of a winter time project for me too, Slayer. Takes a bit to heat the shop, although I gotta get that spice box finished :) 

Here are a few pix - the landing gear was 7 pieces each side not counting the wheels and hubs. Glad they don’t make em like that any more! You can see some of the subassemblies in a lid next to the airframe. There’s an interesting bottom assembly made of clear, where they apparently had guns. At one time the Condor was made into a bomber but I think they were so slow we shot them all down...

For glue I used to use CA, but recently have gone back to the old standby Testor’s which sets pretty quick and is solid. 

F0B8A6CE-965A-481D-A456-BF64AE4F3E60.jpeg

0189039E-BED2-416C-A2D9-ED0695A123AC.jpeg
PS some Revell kits aren’t made in Germany (like that C-47) and they aren’t as precisely made.

• Like 2

I did good to get up an get to the bathroom without hanging on to the furniture this morning. No I didnt party over the weekend, I had my surgeon serve an eviction notice on my gall bladder. They were suspicious it was cancerous from the way it looked on the CT scan but it was just inflamed. Now I have four small holes in my belly from the laparoscopy and Im not allowed so pick anything up for a while which is annoying cause I have some really nice black walnut in the shop to rough turn. I did get half of the black walnut root ball roughed out and cored an eight in bowl out of the middle of it. Some wild colors going on in it.C1F1DBD7-66F3-4CB2-8043-273F12903F6A.thumb.jpeg.0b7b0e9c4ae3748cec48f5326d290839.jpeg

• Like 2