What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

This winter has been so warm i began to wonder if I'd have to start worrying about termites or cockroaches. After the last 2 days we should be good.... :D

We at least don’t have roaches in these parts, and termites are rare. Our winter has been pretty normal with snow, rain, and plenty of snow in the mountains which is where I like it :) 

3 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Man that looks fantastic Chip, I’ve really got to up my game on the next one to keep from being embarrassed to show it compared to your work, I have decided on a P-38 but the paying woodworking jobs have to slow down first, well done sir! Going to display it somewhere ?

Thanks Treeslayer, not to worry, there are plenty of mistakes on it! 
Right now it’s displayed on top of my reloading/work bench, but I may take it to work and out it on a top shelf where I have other models displayed. 
Now I have to figure out what I want to build next.... pondering....

Today I had my first shop time of 2020. It’s been a crazy start to the year, but it sure feels good to be back in the shop. The first hour or so was cleanup and organization, since the only time I’ve stepped foot in the shop this year was to get stuff out of the house, which meant the shop was a disaster. 
Maybe soon I’ll actually finish those picture frames that were supposed to be Christmas gifts :ph34r:

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Nice work JohnG! It's warm enough here in DC for me to go get some plywood. Waiting for one of the kids to take a nap so I can break it down on our deck using my dad's Kreg track saw before I bring it in.

Speaking of nice work, I just routed the rabbit for a back panel on the front of the side... :( hand cut dovetail case so there’s no way I can flip it around.

We have family in town so I pawned off the kids on them so I could have some shop time!

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

Speaking of nice work, I just routed the rabbit for a back panel on the front of the side... :( hand cut dovetail case so there’s no way I can flip it around.

We have family in town so I pawned off the kids on them so I could have some shop time!

Can’t win them all. My son slept long enough for me to break down 3 sheets of plywood. Hopefully I cut them correct. Still need to carry them down to the basement tonight. 

Just got back from The Woodworking Show in Milwaukee and ordered pizza. 

Bought a bandsaw dust collection system at the show.  It's called Ripnado from Drillnado.  It will be a while before I get around to putting it on my machine, but I'll let you know how it goes and what I think.

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

After sulking around the house for a while, I decided to try making a patch. I’d already cut dados in the case and milled and fitted shelves (5) and done some other work on it, so I wasn’t ready to throw it in the burn pile.

We’ll see how it comes out.I left it a bit oversized so I can flush it up with my #4, or maybe my new (to me) Stanley #3.

I didn’t get too far into the rabbet before realizing my mistake...

95691795-836B-43E6-8349-9ADDB7046670.thumb.jpeg.bc02cb1aa42495c82da00f6ea3812956.jpeg

Patch shaped and fitted.

8B59E7DD-BD9D-44AB-8208-5F73757C72D4.thumb.jpeg.a3b5f9866324b5b969c5ad58363b5ff3.jpeg

Glued and clamped. 
DF3C55DF-1E9D-4B72-9176-E1067BC596E9.thumb.jpeg.4a865b7bb98d6a4e189ed5fc612f4429.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Do you only do fried green tomatoes or do you let them ripen off the vine?

If coop would package those very carefully and send them up to us, we could have some ripe tomatoes here in a few weeks. Two more months and I will be planting garden. We had 36 tomato plants last year and got pretty tired of them.

3 minutes ago, B1rdhunter said:

If coop would package those very carefully and send them up to us, we could have some ripe tomatoes here in a few weeks. Two more months and I will be planting garden. We had 36 tomato plants last year and got pretty tired of them.

I had 10 I only got about 6 tomatoes off of them. The deer ate the rest, like spoiled todlers they took one bit and then threw the rest on the ground.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The deer ate the rest,

I had a Chocolate Labrador 20 years ago that love eating tomatoes off our vines and he had a real knack for picking them at the perfect time.  Some times he would be laying on the grass with two or three tomatoes just munching away.

• Like 1

Just a tip in case you plan on doing this again.  I learned this from Phillip Morley.  Next time just cut the mistake rabbet all the way and then make a patch for the entire length of the piece. That way your whole glue line is parallel with the grain instead of where you can see it when it crosses the grain.  Pretty much invisible that way.

Not to bad though, the way yours came out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Just a tip in case you plan on doing this again.  I learned this from Phillip Morley.  Next time just cut the mistake rabbet all the way and then make a patch for the entire length of the piece. That way your whole glue line is parallel with the grain instead of where you can see it when it crosses the grain.  Pretty much invisible that way.

Not to bad though, the way yours came out.

You know, I had that thought but it was when I was removing the clamps after glueing it in place. Definitely should have thought about that earlier. 

I've learned recently that only woodworkers will notice that. We recently sold an Ana White farmhouse table I made before I knew better. There were gaps big enough to see though in the top, no one who came to look at it even noticed. I'm so glad I don't have to look at that anymore.

Read this quote in Fine Woodworking this weekend: “A wise man won’t say anything, and a dumb man won’t notice.”

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, Chestnut said:

Do you only do fried green tomatoes or do you let them ripen off the vine?

I’ve never had this problem before. These were planted on Labor Day weekend and as we never had a freeze this year, they just kept producing and blooming. Now I’m pulling these plants up with green tomatoes on them (again a first) to get ready this weekend to plant new plants. And like @B1rdhunter, I plant 36 plants and we put them up to be used thru out the year. So, I don’t know if these will ripen off the vine?