What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Yeah, I’ve heard the same and plan on trying that, thanks. I’ve tried many and have come to like the Big Beef the best. Good producer and great taste. Brandy wine is my absolute favorite but it requires more cool weather than we normally get. If you have them in your neck of the woods, plant a couple after your last frost. The leaves look like potato vine leaves so don’t become alarmed. 

1 hour ago, B1rdhunter said:

Supposedly if you put them in a brown paper sack in a cool place/ basement they will ripen.

Not necessary. I've experimented with sacks or boxes under plastic on the counter in the sun it's all about the same. Big thing is if ones start to go rotten to get them away asap. it might happen to 1 or 2 out of 100.

I went t visit an uncle in Tucson AZ. and from his place you could hear and see the A-10's taking off from Davis–Monthan Air Force Base.  I could have sat on his porch all day and watched that.   They're one of those planes that have a distinct sound to them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drzaius said:

My son spent some time in North Carolina & became good friends with a guy who flew an A-10. In one of their big training exercises he actually "shot down" an F16, something that is very rare.

That would indeed be rare! They’re not really made for air to air combat. I’m so glad they didn’t retire them, nothing else in the inventory comes close for ground support, although the AC-130 isn’t half bad. That 105 howitzer onboard is incredible. But the Warthog gets close in and personal.

2 hours ago, RichardA said:

Try walking the airplane graveyard. I did it once, it's almost haunting.

I’ve been to a few of those around the country and found some amazing “bones” in out of the way places. It does make you ponder the history. I was sad when they decided to use up the inventory of retired F4s for target practice...

10 hours ago, Chet said:

I went t visit an uncle in Tucson AZ. and from his place you could hear and see the A-10's taking off from Davis–Monthan Air Force Base.  I could have sat on his porch all day and watched that.   They're one of those planes that have a distinct sound to them.

Living in Portland, OR for a while I spent a bit of time around the PDX airport where the Guard F-16s would take off in pairs. You could certainly tell when they took of compared to any commercial flight. It was awesome to watch. Gives you goose bumps :) A real sharp, cracking, determined sound compared to the whoosh of, say, a Boeing.

Not really today, but what we did the past several days:   We're putting Luxury Vinyl Plank in the old lake house we're fixing up to start renting, hopefully this Spring.  It was some sort of agricultural building before the lake was built, and converted into a house sometime soon after the lake was flooded.  The floor is concrete, and poorly poured.  There was a raised seam running the length of the building, down the middle.  It would have shown horribly under the LVP.

I rented a concrete grinding machine that came with a Hepa vacuum.  It worked really nicely, and the vacuum, that has two motors, really did a good job of capturing all the dust.

In one section the floor was pushed up on one side of that seam by large Oak tree roots.  I needed to get some conduit in that area, so we broke up the high side with a 20 lb. sledge hammer.  We put the conduit in, and poured some concrete to fill in the hole, and level out the floor across where the old seam was.

I had asked Pam for an old Yoga mat that she didn't use any more, to place on the floor where it would be hit with the sledge hammer, so it wouldn't spray concrete chips all over the place.  She gave me one, reluctantly, but then when we got into it, we are pulling the old carpet up anyway, so I used some of the old carpet foam rubber pad, and it worked like a charm.  The house has some old furniture left in it, not really worth anything, but we're going to leave some of it, so I didn't want to make any more mess than necessary.

Mike is too tall to hit the floor many times with the big hammer, so I ended up doing most of the swinging.  I thought I would be really sore from it, but never really was.  Not too bad for an old man, I guess.  A friend called last night, asking if I wanted to play golf this weekend.  I told him what I'd been doing, and that if I needed to hit a ball straight down, that I would be ready.

I ground down the seam a little lower than level, because we could build it back up to flat, and level easier than trying to grind it down perfectly.  I wanted some concrete mixture that would leave a smooth surface, but didn't want to put all the moisture in the house that using the pourable floor leveling stuff.   I picked thinset, normally used for laying tile, and mixed some straight Portland cement, and hydrated lime, to make it almost like plaster.   By the time we got finished, I had found the right combination of additional cement, and lime.  Too much cement, and the mix was too sticky.  I ended up adding 4 trowels of cement, and 10 of lime.  The last batch, and the last trial mix, finished wonderfully.

Sorry, as usual, I forgot to take pictures of the finished floor.

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

• Like 2