What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I get harassed a lot because every time Megan comes to find me in my shop I'm standing at my shop computer looking something up. She's convinced everything I do should take a quarter the time and I'm really just surfing the internet in my shop for hours on end.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Whenever I go down to the shop unless my wife comes in to tell me to stop I usually have completely lost track of time. I frequently have to stop to go research something or rewatch a video.

Yeah me to and my bride keeps telling me I need to get a clock in there but I don't want one. The whole point of going in there is to forget about everything else going on. That is where my escape is from everything else and I actually find it very relaxing. I may spend most of the time confused right now trying to figure things out but I am enjoying being there. I just wish I could finish getting the stuff I want done completed. It isn't the lack of not having the parts it is the ability to do it and not knowing what to buy. I had to stop buying stuff because it is starting to look like a parts warehouse in there. 

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

Totally get it. I bought my tablesaw off of craigslist and it came with the Incra 1000HD and miter express. Took a long time to figure out the ins and outs of it and I still discover something new from time to time.

Oh I finally got that together and I am using it. Now I am just finishing the old project I started which is the one I was making myself. I also am trying to finish the dust collection part which is where I started collecting parts...lol I am wanting to run some simple ductwork but I am stuck between lost and confused. It is easy when someone says "send me a sketch and we will send you the parts" or "what are you looking for" I find it hard to explain and I can see it in my mind so I buy parts I think I need but haven't started a damn thing yet. I have probably spent $1500.00 ordering different fittings and hoses from Rockler. If you need anything let me know they may be out of stock and I might have it haha.

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

I pulled the batteries out of the clock in my shop when I retired in 2004 and then took off my watch and never looked at it again, I have all the shop time I want now:D

I hope you are enjoying retirement Sir. Do you want to come do some work for hire? You can help set the rest of my shop for cash :) 

4 hours ago, treeslayer said:

I pulled the batteries out of the clock in my shop when I retired in 2004 and then took off my watch and never looked at it again, I have all the shop time I want now:D

Me too, same year.  But I do wear my watch when we travel... I don't know why, I hardly look at it but it bugs me to not have it. :blink:

21 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Sorry MJC not for hire, plus I’m not done setting up my shop, but it’s only been 25 years :o

In 25 years I won't be worried about it...lol 

Look what came today - at first I thought I received a box of candy.

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I get harassed a lot because every time Megan comes to find me in my shop I'm standing at my shop computer looking something up. She's convinced everything I do should take a quarter the time and I'm really just surfing the internet in my shop for hours on end.

That is my first step is to find out how to do it online then start the process. My iPad gets a good workout when I am in the shop.

10 hours ago, treeslayer said:

I was bitching to my younger, retired brother about the time change. He said the same. Doesn’t wear a watch as he goes to bed when he wants, gets up when he wants and eats when he gets hungry. And the only reason he has a calendar is to remind him when, twice a year, to reset his watch. :D

• Haha 1

After meetings with my financial planner & accountants last week, it was agreed that I'll be working until I'm 70. That way I'll be able to eat canned dog food instead of the dry stuff :D. I'm not that bothered by that though. Visualizing being retired is just something that hasn't happened yet. Definitely mixed feelings about it though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RichardA said:

Sorry to  say this, but the flame will eventually turn brown.

Don't be sorry. I know it'll turn brown. Boxelder isn't really a great wood durability wise anyway. This stuff is to garrish for furniture so I'm more than likely to use it to make some of those marbles game boards i make. People will get really excited to see the wild colors and they get stored well away from UV light, which speeds the color degradation. In 5 years when they dig the game out of their storage tote after not touching it for years they'll have forgotten that it was ever red.

These logs are just a rehearsal for when i get a real quality log of something like Elm, cherry, or walnut. I'd rather make a rookie mistake on something that doesn't have much value.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Yeah retirement, wake up, do what you want, repeat, it’s not hard

I'm not retired yet, I guess, but this is my schedule, and sometimes I get paid for it.   If I do the same for the next few months, I will have already worked until I'm 70, and wouldn't have had it any other way.   Hopefully, 70 won't be the last year.

Today, we hauled all the limbs I dropped on our point, the day a while back when I rented the lift.  It was overcast, and I figured we'd better get it done before it gets hot.  As is a typical day, I just decided this morning that this is what we'd do today.

Mike loaded, and I ran the little 180 saw all day.  It was the only day I ever remember running a whole gallon of mix through the little saw.  We just used the pickup, since I only had to go a few hundred yards to where I dump such stuff, so I didn't have to worry about navigating a trailer.  I think it was about a dozen packed loads.  In the process, Mike ended up with enough firewood to make a good start on next season.