What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I’m over 60 so in that “at risk” group, so I started telecommuting yesterday. It’s too tempting to get out in the shop, but now we have a super cold front blowing through with sideways snow and temps in the single digits (F). Ergo, the shop is cold! I still have to go out and see people for work, but for now they’re minimizing anyone going out in the field.

I had to laugh at the comment that it won’t last long since it’s made in China. And I messaged the Corona with free toilet paper to a bunch of friends. Nobody I know can figure out what the whole toilet paper thing is all about. I went to the store yesterday to get some food and passing the toilet paper area, yup, mostly gone. Saw one older couple looking and later they walked by with one 4-pack. Amazon shows out of stock. So weird. This didn’t happen with SARS/H1N1/HongKong etc. I suspect it’s like the fake TP shortage we had when the Arab oil embargo was going on - a ruse. But back then we didn’t have internet to panic everyone with. 

If nothing else this is a fascinating social experiment (not to disrespect those who are truly ill) to see how this generation will react to things like this. Maybe it will help bond us together again as humans instead of the divisiveness we’ve seen increase in the last decade or so.

• Like 2

As one of Mark’s links suggests, all the panic is fear of the unknown. Not based on the facts or evidence we currently have.

My wife suspects in the next week or so we will learn that there have been far more cases of coronavirus than currently known, but without showing symptoms (or not severe enough for the person to visit the doctor) and that the mortality rate is actually much less than initially reported. 

Having young kids, I am more worried about the flu than this. And I am not worried about the flu. I do have some family members in the “at risk” category, but they are being reasonable and are limiting their exposure without freaking out and buying 12 years worth of TP.

My baby sis skipped my dad’s 72nd Bday yesterday because one of her kids had a field trip to California recently. Reading the symptoms, and demographics around fatalities...and I too find this response strange. It’s almost like a practice run to test preparedness. 

At 77, I think I'm in the high risk catagory, however, I'm out in the boondocks, and the biggest crowd I deal with is one neighbor and my dog.  There's a chance I might be safer than most, and I'm starting to think, this just might being overplayed. But people are odd even at the best of times.

• Like 1

People need to go down the isle next to toilet paper and get tissue. It is their nose that’s gonna be runny not their rear end. I was in trashmart and I overheard a lady say she didn’t know why everyone was buying up toilet paper but since everyone was doing it she was gonna buy some also. 

I’d rather make sure I have enough food, ammo and cash on hand before I run around like a mad man looking for toilet paper. I haven’t heard one person mention going to the bank to take cash out to have on hand but hey they got toilet paper. What happens if the banks close? Be careful and think about your answer on this one. The easy answer most want to say is “I have a debit card” but who will be filling those ATM machines?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

...I was in trashmart and I overheard a lady say she didn’t know why everyone was buying up toilet paper but since everyone was doing it she was gonna buy some also.

This is the entirety of the problem. A few dummies go stock up on TP, then someone sees it and they post online that people are doing it, it gets shared around, then some news outlet picks it up and runs with it. Nobody stops to think about what they actually need.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Maybe we should try leaking that live edge slabs is a great breeding ground for Covid-19 viruses. Also that walnut and figured lumber are especially susceptible to harboring the virus....

Or that finishing the ductwork in my shop will cure it all so let’s all have a party and get it done :lol:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Wife tells me there have been reports that a few jokers bought up warehouses full of TP & hand sanitizers, trying to price gouge folks.

I went on eBay and looked at Purell hand sanitizer and there are a couple listings with prices that are ridiculous. I understand supply and demand but price gouging to that extent is just wrong. 

It’s nuts :) 

Fill your prescriptions, get some electrolytes (Gatorade, Pedialite etc), some preserves foods (soup, frozen food, dry goods, protein bars) normal supplies of soap and such... enough for a couple, three weeks of “intense social distancing” and for those who can, telework. Don’t shake hands, elbow bump. It’s the new thing :) 

Well, I found out that my shop tried to burn itself down...

Had an external thermostat on my hanging heater to keep things from freezing. Came out to the shop and the lights wouldn’t turn on. Also noted the smell of burning electronics. Breakers in my subpanel were fine, the breaker in the house tripped. Then saw this. Exterior of the metal box is now black.

1E18A88B-E443-4B8C-8358-8F30D01B4D57.thumb.jpeg.c6de43871713287000f063e61816bfb2.jpeg

BD67C9BC-3DB1-4880-B786-7A03D916D464.thumb.jpeg.173e9d8900818a686f17fbc44dc9f714.jpeg

• Sad 2